Finley's favorite part was cracking open the eggs and discovering his favorite treats - goldfish crackers, raisins and fruit snacks!
Tuesday night, Patrick took Finley to visit Grandma Kathleen & Grandpa Pat. Grandpa Pat had successful surgery on Friday, we hope he has a speedy recovery!
With cooler temps, we needed an indoor outing, to the mall toys we went! It had been awhile since we'd played there, Finley was much better at going down the slide and crawling in/out of the toys.
Thursday morning was busy! We started off by attending the annual Bake Auction at my school. It's a fun event and a fundraiser for the American Cancer Society.
We "won" chocolate chip cookies, but Finley didn't care - he was obsessed with the chocolate candy on the table. Breakfast on Thursday? 3 mini candy bars!
After the auction, we went to my principal's house for playdate with his wife and kids; the adult conversation was fun for me! Of course it was all focused on raising children :) We had lunch with Grandma, Auntie, Easton and Suzie at a new Mexican restaurant...the excitement began when Finley choked on a hot dog (choking is one of my biggest fears!). I wish I could say I saved him, but nope, I panicked and froze! Grandma started digging in his mouth (Finley was gagging and couldn't cough), I looked at Nurse Auntie and yelled, "HEIDI!", she handed off Easton to Suzie and came around the table. Fortunately Grandma fished it out and Finley started crying - stupid a$$ hot dogs, why must they be his favorite food?!?! It took two hours for my heart rate to return to normal! After naptime, Finley was feeling fine so I put him to work - he really likes to help!
On Friday, we hosted a playdate with Faith, Zach and Grandma Lynn. The boys had fun tearing apart our basement and we enjoyed catching up. Zach was anxious to drive the tractor, Finley was anxious to ride in the back (he laughed and shrieked) and Faith was a wreck thinking Zach would drive into the wall. After a quick trip around the pool table, we retired the tractor.
On Saturday, our family met at my Grandma's. My parents and aunts/uncles had already begun sorting her things; this was the day we would take home keepsakes and mementos. I anticipated this day to be sad; I really, really, really miss my Grandma. With recent events, I find myself thinking back to last year - Grandma was at Spencer's birthday party and Grandma joined us for Easter. Grandma's house still smells like Grandma, her shower cap still hangs on the door, her coats are in the closet and I find myself looking at her blue chair expecting her to be resting her "bum ankle". I was pleasantly surprised that it was fun to find old treasures and share stories that went with them. In the midst of Grandma's things, we found some of Grandpa's things too...this was one of mom's "picks" ;)

My Grandma was such a special woman; most days her passing still doesn't seem real. I feel like she's right where she should be - in that blue chair resting her bum ankle. But she's not and I've accepted that. Yet, truly not an hour goes by that I don't think of her, I'm blessed to have so many wonderful memories of a wonderful Grandma.
After all our hard work, we went out for dinner; unfortunately our table was near the pool table and video games. While some families may seek out restaurants with built-in entertainment, I do not. It's not fun to listen to Finley beg, nor fun to see Patrick glare at you from the pool table...um, sorry, I don't want to stand over there either!

Tomorrow starts real spring break, or Spring Break Part 2 for me! I'm excited to be home another week, we've got a few plans, projects for naptime and time to play outside :)
1 comment:
I miss Grandma complaining about her bum ankle! :)
xoxo
Post a Comment