Monday, March 13, 2017

Pinewood Derby

Husky baseball camp completed, it won't be long and baseball season will officially start!

Two years ago, I had the same picture in my blog, only a different name on the Meet Feet booklet. The significance? Once upon I time, I created this booklet. All teachers share materials and both of my kids practiced rhyming in a booklet their mom made 😄

I attended Hadley's parent-teacher conference this week and everything is going well in kindergarten! She's a good listener, tries hard, she did well on her winter testing and academically she's right where she needs to be. It makes me happy to have had two great conferences!

Our weather has been so crazy. It's spring one day and snowing the next. This day combined the two - literally 45* and snowing!  You'd think they'd never seen snow before, they thought it was hilarious.

Last week also brought crazy wind for two days. As much as I love our big trees, the way they were moving back/forth made me nervous and one didn't survive. Finley came running in and told me a tree was falling. It had started and was stuck leaning at an abnormal angle, thankfully away from our house. Patrick got a panicked call in Vegas, thankfully a tree service was able to come and cut it down before it fell and took out our playhouse, swing set and trampoline.

In January, Finley got a short lesson on knitting w/ Dyanne. Since then, he has wanted to learn more and he has wanted his Cub Scout Den to learn too (he sooo makes me laugh, I hope he never loses his enthusiasm for arts/crafts, etc). Dyanne was happy to teach Finley & Nicholas how to knit, we love having bonus grandparents that spoil our kids.

Thank you Dyanne for being patient and sharing your skills w/ Finley! He's been bit by the knitting bug...I probably should've listened so I can help him, he gets a little frustrated when I can't help.

Thankfully our neighbor Sue knits, she helped Finley w/ the finishing stitches on his cuff and started him on a new project.


Hadley was excited to have a play date at Allie's house.

Baby K turned 1, which means she's more toddler than baby. We had K and family over for pizza and cake to celebrate. One is such a fun age, she's walking, dancing, and babbling. The kids loved chasing her and making her laugh.

My goal is to run a half marathon every weekend from now until early May, I think I'm at 5 since January 1st, so it's time to pick it up. I ran the race course on Saturday, the windchill was below zero, but it went OK.


On Sunday, Melissa and I ran 7 miles and FB reminded me that exactly one year ago, we'd run a 7K together too.


Hadley & Finley both passed swimming lessons and Hadley passed gymnastics, this summer they'll both move onto the next groups - yeah!


One of the most anticipated events of Cub Scouts is the Pinewood Derby! Finley & Patrick started working on his car a few weeks ago, turning a block of wood into a car.


This isn't Finley's car, it's Patrick's replica, but I waited too long to take a pre-race picture and Finley's car had been weighed and couldn't be touched anymore ;)
 

The Scouts vote to determine the winner for Best in Show. There were some really neat cars, so I was floored to learn Finley's was tied for 1st place. I'm pretty sure it's because Minecraft is popular among boys, they look at the "coolness" vs the "creativity". He lost in the vote-off, which was OK, because the winning car was much fancier w/ flashing lights.

Caden, Nicholas, & Finley waiting for the races to begin. 

The actual racing is pretty technical, each car races twice in each lane in each heat...got that? The track times the cars and the computer averages the times from the heat (8 races). After the preliminary heats, the four overall fastest cars advance to the final race.


Sometimes the waiting got long, but it really moves pretty quickly considering how many races there are (each race only lasts about 4.5 seconds).

It was worth the waiting, Finley's green car blurred past us winning each heat and putting him into the final race.

After the races, we had dinner and they announced the winners...

...FINLEY WON 1ST PLACE!


Patrick & Finley have a month to tweak his car for the District Pinewood Derby races in April! The top 3 cars from each Pack will race again.

This video is worth 8 seconds, Finley's expression from happy/nerves to a sudden serious look to celebration is hilarious.








No comments: