The kids started their new daycare! They went two days last week. Monday's drop-off didn't go too bad. I don't think Hadley knew I was actually leaving her, she looked confused. Finley was bashful, but no tears. I called at lunch to check on Hadley, she hadn't eaten much for breakfast nor lunch, but was happy...until she saw Finley on the playground, then she got sad. Our second drop-off wasn't as smooth for Hadley (she was smarter), when I asked for a hug/kiss she said "no", because she knew what was coming next. She cried. I brought Finley upstairs and went back to listen outside Hadley's door, all was quiet by then.
It's only been two days, but I'm already loving this center WAY WAY more than Finley's last one. The teachers are so friendly, it's cleaner, the rooms are bigger and there is just a better 'feel' to the center. Once we get over the sad good-byes, I know it'll be a good fit for us.
Finley assigned himself a new job - dishwasher. He takes it seriously and has done it each evening. When he's done, I load our dishwasher. Weird kid.
We finally aligned schedules to meet up with Melissa, Elle & Elise
This didn't end well. But she tried it again.
Finley is in love with Elise.
Elise might've gotten squished right after this picture.
Log roller!
I have a "Heather" and a "Heidi". One kid holding the shopping cart, the other running away.
Hitchhiker.
It was Thursday, no one's special day (that we knew of), but Finley wanted birthday candles on his cinnamon roll. Maybe he was celebrating a special treat for breakfast? Or maybe the last time I made cinnamon rolls it was on his birthday and he got a candle on it? I'm not sure, but we celebrated something anyway.
Who's ready for Chicago? These two! Thursday morning we hit the road, stopping once for lunch. You could feel the energy, so could the people in the booth behind us, so ice cream was eaten outside.
Thankfully they slept the rest of the drive.
Auntie Shawna greeted us when we arrived. The kids were ready to play and so was she!
We walked to Snappy Dog for a Chicago-style hot dog...or plain if you're from WI ;) Snappy Dog is a total hole-in-the-wall, the entire 'restaurant' is shown here, no tables, only a condiment counter behind me - very good dogs though.
While in Chicago, we crash at Great Grandpa Wally's. Many relatives live near, making it easy for us to stay put while others drop in to say hi. Cousin Kelly was talked into a soccer game.
There is a Dunkin' Donuts within walking distance and it's become our tradition to go for donuts and coffee. Auntie Aryn came too!
After breakfast we headed to the suburbs to visit Uncle Jeremy, Aunt Jenna, Mayah, Owen & Leah!
We brought along belated and early birthday gifts for the kids.
Monkey-pile on Auntie Aryn!
We took the kids to a local pool - which was way more than a pool, it was a mini-waterpark! First up, the lazy river.
There was an entire area turned into a gigantic sandbox.
The pool!
Kids love fountains.
There was a kids' area with smaller waterslides (Finley was too little for the big slides).
We had a quick snack and stopped at the playground.
We were excited that Aunt Christina stopped by to visit too!
A few minutes into our drive back, there were bobbing-heads.
Friday night, Patrick headed out with family leaving me and the kids to...not sure. Thankfully, Shawna & Aryn were willing to hang out with us. We gave the kids a bath and had a drink ourselves while they played and danced...I'm sure Shawna's downstairs neighbors were thrilled.
The kids & I returned to Wally's house to settle in for the night. We have the upstairs to ourselves, three bedrooms and a bathroom. Assuming Wally wasn't up for Mickey Mouse, we hid upstairs and I was thankful for the iPad & Kindle.
With Hadley's recent crib-escape, I had zero confidence in her sleeping (quietly) in the pack n play, so the three of us shared a bed. We made a Hadley-sandwich. Not surprisingly, I left Chicago sleep-deprived.
It seems Patrick was over-served, so Saturday morning started with the kids & I walking to Dunkin' Donuts. I'm really hopeful we get one, I like their coffee a lot, it's totally worth giving donuts for breakfast each day, hey it's vacay!
Like last year, our stay overlapped the Edison Park Fest. It started with a parade...if you can call it that. It was more like a giant commercial for local businesses and politicians that threw candy.
The cousins had lunch and played. We ate SO much delicious junk food this weekend!
Finley & I went to our first Chicago Cubs game at Wrigley Field. Auntie Shawna surprised Finley with 'cubs socks', Finley was dressed for the day!
Patrick's cousin has connections and scored us awesome seats about 20ish rows off the field.
No clue who this player is, just proving how close we were ;)
It was Auntie Aryn's first Chicago Cubs game too!
Cute Cubs fan.
Of course there were souvenirs - Patrick bought Finley a bat and ball, Auntie Aryn treated Finley to a Cub's bear claw...spoiled boy.
It was the perfect afternoon for a baseball game!
After the game we picked up Hadley (she visited Aunt Lorraine for the day) and went back to Wally's. Auntie Shawna had a conference all weekend, so we were only able to see her in the evenings.
The kids taught Auntie Shawna how to do the Irish Hand Dance.
Hadley refused to take a cute picture with Auntie Shawna, so she got tickled.
Patrick headed out, the kids & I made another Hadley-sandwich for the night.
Our smushed sleeping arrangement didn't allow for much movement. But when Hadley woke up, it was obvious she'd been rolling in her small space. Holy bedhead! She didn't see the humor and was mad that I was chasing her with my camera.
But seriously - how does this happen?!
Auntie Aryn stopped over to say good-bye and Finley talked her into a quick baseball game...I love Aunties that love my kids!
Thank you Wally for hosting us! Thank you Auntie Shawna & Auntie Aryn for entertaining us - you both hold special places with these two kids (with me too!). We look forward to seeing you both soon! Aryn - we'll keep you to coming up this winter ;)
Overall the kids traveled well, but I don't think we are the road-tripping kind, long drives make us crazy-like ;)





































No comments:
Post a Comment