Sunday, August 4, 2013

More Summer

Summer seems to be blowing by.  August has begun and my school-brain has automatically flipped on.  I hate that.  Some of our days feel long, but the weeks are going way too quickly.  And the school reminders are everywhere - back to school ads, cheap crayons, etc.  I enjoy the excitement of kicking off a brand new year, but I dread the rigorous routine / structure...I kinda like our lazy mornings (a lot).  For now, we're squeezing in More Summer...

The squirrels are well-fed around here, our bird feeders are empty often.

 
Week two of swimming lessons - the weather did not work in our favor this year.  Monday was somewhat warmish, so we hung around after lessons for a little bit.
 
Sister practiced blowing bubbles.
 
When it was rainy, breezy and cool on Tuesday, Hadley & I jumped-ship from lessons.  Finley not-so-happily was forced to go.

Since I'm required to swim with Hadley, it was fun to watch Finley's lesson.
 

His instructor was very patient and really worked with him to go under.

And he pops up with a GASP!

F-r-e-e-z-i-n-g!

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, Finley didn't pass.  We're around water plenty, so I'm not sure where his skittish-ness come from - maybe because we require life jackets in the lake?  Which is an important rule, but maybe he's grown used to that security.  I've looked into winter lessons and I will sign him up to be a Seal again - I'll get him to pass!

Finley had his 5-year check up with Dr. Myhre.  He checked out perfectly, he was so excited to pass the hearing test...he CAN hear me ;)  He is 3 feet 6 inches tall (37%) and 42 lbs 9 oz (62%), he's always been a little shorter than average with a mid-average weight.  He was thrilled that there were no shots nor finger-pricks.

Napping at Grandma's in the chair.

Finley really shouldn't nap, which makes sense since he's 5.  And when he does, he stays up super-duper late (that doesn't work for me).  BUT, it kinda makes for long afternoons.  I really like having two hours with no one needing me.  Not that I kick back with my feet up, but it's always been a productive me-time.  And if he makes it until 4ish with no nap, I can't let him sit down or he's out, which is a horrible time to take a nap.  So, we stay busy.  He has downtime, but then he's following me around with ideas of things to do...and every few days I let him sleep, I'm not totally willing to give up that me-time yet.

In two weeks we'll make our annual trip to Chicago, this year we're going to a Cubs game, so Finley & I needed to get geared-up.  New hats and t-shirts! 

Finley excitedly picked out super-fast new tennis shoes for fall.  He's very proud of them and carried one around the entire mall.  Now he asks to wear them everyday.  But his mean teacher-mom thinks new shoes need to wait for the new year.  So he keeps bugging me and I keep saying no.  I don't really get the difference myself, but there's just something about starting a new school year that screams 'new shoes'.

A superball at Old Navy - seriously, that store has too much trinket-crap for kids to beg for, hate that.

All four butterflies hatched!  It was time to set them free!

I was impressed that Finley put his hand into the habitat to lift them out (I would've unzipped the top and let them fly out on their own - ick).

 The first one out!

If you look closely in the upper right corner, there's a blur of one flying away!

A lazy one landed on Finley's shoe.

We think his wing was twisted, so Finley scooped him up on a leaf...

 ...and set him in our plant for nectar. 

This was a really fun project that did not require touching anything gross.

Remember Finley's Lemonade Stand to support Bob's House for Dogs?

This week he purchased the treats and delivered them!

He was a little nervous at first.

But he did it!

Pete was excited to taste the new treats!

We went inside Bob's House and visited all of the dogs that are currently living there.

Finley's been asking to visit our public library and storytime has been on my summer to-do list since June, it just hadn't happened yet.  Lucky us, when we finally did visit, they were hosting a PBS Kids Fair with games and activities. 

Trax was even there!


 The kids were able to be pitchers...

 ...golf...

...play hockey...

...throw footballs...

...get tattoos...

...make Clifford ears & Super Why capes...

...and visit Martha from the PBS TV show Martha Speaks.

Another important visit, our new daycare center.  The kids are finally registered and signed up for their fall placements at a new daycare center.  Finley will attend our district's 4K program in the mornings (on-site) and move into a wrap-around room for the afternoons.  Hadley will be in the "Panda" room with eight 2-2.5 year olds.  My kids will begin a slow transition of two-days per week starting on August 12th, then they'll attend Monday-Wednesday each week when school begins.  Last year I kept Hadley home on my off-Wednesdays, but this year I'm taking that day to do kid-free lesson planning rather than ignore her while I work from home.  It seems like a great center and comes highly recommended, but I feel nervous for them.  She looks scared.  But I'm hopeful the transition will be smooth and quick.

I ended the weekend with a girl's night at Kristi's cottage.  While I was gone, the kids were shipped around a little.  They spent time with Tab at Grandpa & Grandma's house and had ice cream with Daddy.  They had fun...


...and so did we!
 


No comments: