Sunday, September 15, 2013

Celebrating Grandpa Pat

A belated...Happy Grandparent's Day!  

Finley will start 4K on Monday, but this week they transitioned the kids into their classrooms.  4K is a program offered by our school district and our daycare has it on-site.  It's a half-day program on Mondays-Thursdays, so he'll attend wrap-around care (a regular daycare room) in the mornings when I work and 4K in the afternoon in a neighboring classroom.  On Thursdays, I'll bring him just for the 4K afternoon.  Originally I'd requested the morning 4K class, then realized what a DUMB idea that was - it meant he'd nap in the afternoons in the wrap-around room.  Ugh.  That means late, late nights for me.  I desperately changed my request (and pleaded) and the director was able to switch him to the afternoon class.  Phew, this week he passed out by 7:30.

Finley had a soccer game Tuesday night, no pictures because I was back in Urgent Care with Hadley (second time in a week).  She had a rash on her trunk and daycare wanted it checked out.  Not sure what it was, the doctor didn't give it a name, just an antibiotic and a note allowing Hadley to return to daycare. 

Urgent Care is a hopping place these days, I had to entertain Hadley for over 45 minutes in the exam room. 

Gum helped.

I discovered some 'selfies' on my phone.

My kids like milk.  I think they go into withdrawal at daycare, they immediately want some in the car.

Due to a prescription change for Hadley, we were back to Target.  My $5 copay turned into $75 worth of stuff and dinner.

Patrick was put into jail for the Muscular Distrophy Association.

Fortunately for Finley, 'jail' was at Action City, which meant we played games.

Spencer has a habit of falling asleep in weird spots.  Finley was crawling around, next thing I knew he was sound asleep!

With heavy hearts, Grandpa Pat passed away this week.  He'd struggled for many years with various illnesses and it was finally too much for him to fight.  

Our weekend was spent celebrating Grandpa Pat's life with family. Coincidentally, the family already had plans for camping together this weekend - with campsites already reserved, it was an easy spot to spend time together.  Hadley & I stayed home the first night (I don't camp and she's a good excuse), but Finley & Patrick headed down. I asked Patrick to send pictures, he sent one.

With the boys away, Hadley & I sat home missing them...or not.   Happy hour with teacher-friends!

Hadley enjoyed a kiddie-cocktail while we vented about the craziness of a new school year.


After happy hour we went to work, Hadley was happy to help (or play).

In the morning, Finley & Patrick visited Grandpa Pat & Grandma Kathleen's farm.  Auntie Shawna took them out to see the horses.

Pat's memorial service was Saturday shared with family and friends - thank you to my family, our friends and a group from M&J that made the drive to show support for Patrick.  After the service we went to the American Legion for lunch.  The kids drank kiddie-cocktails and ran and ran and ran around with their cousins.

Finley offered to get Patrick a cupcake and came back with a chocolate-face, I think he sampled it before delivery.

We discovered giant picture frames.

That's Grandma hoisting Finley up.

My favorite - Uncle Kevin, Auntie Shawna & Finley with a surprise-face.

After lunch we changed into grubby clothes and headed to the campground.

 Finley couldn't wait to fish.

Uncle Michael was his lucky-token, Finley hadn't caught anything until they sat down together - then it was fish after fish.

 Hadley had a standoff with Cody.

 Lots of family snuggles - cousin Kelly and Uncle Michael.

 Grandma Kathleen, Uncle Jeremy & Patrick.

 My favorite is sitting around the fire and eating.  

 Bean bags!

 And of course s'mores.

Patrick & I are very fortunate to have our parents near and in our lives.  It is sad to lose Grandpa Pat, but given his recent condition, it's a blessing that his pain has ended.  Pat was very proud of his family, including two of his special grandchildren. 



No comments: