Sunday, July 6, 2014

Saying Yes.

Is it the small moments or the big ones kids remember? Maybe both? We dedicate a lot of time/energy planning the perfect birthday parties, vacations, and awesome experiences. But right now, I'm trying to create more of the small ones. I'm not sure why, for a few reasons I think. Finley leaving for school in fall? (he's going to kindergarten, not college). Life is too short? (Sounds cliche). Maybe not appreciating what I have right here right now? Probably a combination of all of the above. Below is a recent FB post I made: 

I follow the blog of a mom to four. A mom that lost her six-year old to a brain tumor four months after diagnosis. The mom's biggest wish is that she would've said "yes" more. Not to every demand in the Target checkout aisle, but to small moments - reading a book, eating a Popsicle in the tub, playing a board game, when she should be (insert any household chore here). Too often I find myself saying, in a minute, hold on, yeah maybe later as my kids grow up before my eyes.

Finley has asked many times to see the Lake Altoona dam that we boat past on top. Today I said, Yes. And we hiked to the dam.

We followed the rocky path down to the water.

And it was totally worth it.

We hiked when we got home, little photographers taking shots of everything around us.

There was stick fun too. Hadley was writing her name in the sand, leaving her mark.

Bike riding. I still need to go pick out a bike for myself, until then I will use Patrick's so we can do this.

We visited Melissa & Dave's new house - beautiful! Blue Moon ice cream in a blue cone? Yes, even if it causes the bluest poop you've ever seen ;)

After last week's no-dance ballet class, I had been prepping Hadley. The day before she spontaneously told me,
I be happy at dance. My fingers were crossed. Two minutes before class, she panicked and wondered where her goggles were. Um, in the car, who cares?!?! She wanted them. I ran out, showed them to her and shoved them in our bag. She wanted them on. My brain was screaming, No, are you kidding me?! My answer was, Yes. Pick your battles, into class she went. 

The goggles stayed and so did she. She smiled at us through the window. And we laughed about how ridiculous she looked.  

The ballerina that wore goggles. Yes. 

An unseasonably cool day turned our pool-date into a road trip. 

We met up with friends at Teddy Bear Park in Stillwater, MN. The kids enjoyed the park, we will go back. 

There was jumping... 
 

...cousins and friends. 

Birthday Eve, the last picture as a 5-year old. 

Finley's birthday started off with his first date - he invited Elle to a movie! 

Hadley enjoyed the morning with Elise. Kid-swapping? 
Yes.

The Birthday Boy chose McDonalds for dinner. It's our tradition that the birthday person chooses our restaurant, my answer was only Yes.

Grandpa & Grandma were good sports and joined us in the Playland for a fancy meal. 

Finley waited (not so) patiently for presents all day. 


Grandpa delivered six birthday spankings...

...and Grandma delivered six birthday kisses. (The post below is dedicated to our six-year old birthday boy).

Our Painted Lady Butterflies hatched. Unfortunately one was a preemie and didn't survive, but the other four did. After feeding and watching them for a few days, we released them outside. 

The 4th of July! 

Party prep before our friends arrived.

It was a full day of boating, tubing, eating, trampolining (a word?) and hanging out with family and friends. 

Hadley took her first try on the water ski trainer! 

Finley's turn! 

Grandpa's girl was tired and needed a break. 

Swimming until dusk. 

Bang-snaps. 

And sparklers that are fun in a waiting-for-an-injury way. 

Our holiday ended with Grandpa's annual fireworks display over the lake! 

I want to appreciate them more. Goggles in the tub? Yes.




No comments: