Monday, July 17, 2017

She Lost a Tooth!

A few weeks ago at Finley's dentist appointment, we discovered Hadley was going to be a shark. Recently the second row showed up and unfortunately her baby teeth weren't very wigglish.

It's been bugging her, so I made an appointment to have it checked out. She.was.excited. Literally, she was bouncing around the waiting room w/ her fingers-crossed that Dr. Miskulin was going to help her lose her first two teeth!

She happily crawled into the chair.

Dr. Miskulin took a peek. Her baby teeth have a teeny wiggle, but he decided he'd help them come out and give more time for the permanents to move forward. Sister was happy...

...and then we got started. I opted for happy gas to relax her. It worked (her eyes were wonky), but when he started w/ the Novocain, her anxiety started too. And it only got worse. She claimed she could feel pain when he was poking, so he gave her more. And the tears started. We distracted her enough that he got the first one out. She was concerned it was bleeding (it was, but not much) and she became hysterical. Time for #2...I was sitting on her feet and holding her arms/hands, the assistant was trying to hold her head still and Hadley was pinching her lips shut while trying to simultaneously scream and get out of the chair - it was a hot mess. I held her for a bit to clam her down and she wasn't having it. Since there is a little wiggle to #2 and Dr. Miskulin poked around at it (hopefully adding more wiggle), we decided to wait and let #2 come out on it's own. She goes back in August and he hopes it's gone by then.

So she lost one tooth. Unfortunately, it's not even the one w/ the tooth behind it, but we can see the nubs so it'll be erupting any day.

We got to the car and she was EXCITED (eyeroll after the hysterics inside). Her new smile!

And the Tooth Fairy compensated her for the traumatic experience.

It's a little bittersweet - our last first tooth is gone. This is the first picture of her two new baby teeth at about 7.5 months old.

And if all this seems familiar, it's because Finley used to be a shark - coincidentally, it was the same right-side middle-bottom tooth that popped up too.

The Tooth Fairy no longer leaves cute receipts and tooth charts, you get lazier w/ kid #2.

The kids attended Summer Institute Mon-Thurs last week, it's a two-week session that'll wrap up this week. Hadley is taking two classes Dogs, Dogs, Dogs & Kids Yoga, Finley is taking Art in Science & Backyard Games. They have a class at 10:10, eat lunch, and a class from 1-3...so between 10:15-2:45 I've been running my tail off trying to be productive. They love the classes and I've enjoyed a little kid-free time to get stuff done.

The kids finished up Intro to Hockey. I think it's safe to say we will NOT be a hockey family this fall/winter. I didn't really need to ask Hadley how she felt, her body language kinda told me her feelings.

She did smile sometimes.


I wasn't sure how Finley was feeling. He didn't complain to go, but he didn't come off the ice eager for more. He tried hard and his skating definitely improved. When I asked Finley, he agreed that winter skating outside w/ friends is enough for him....but he really wants Patrick to put a rink in our yard next winter 😀

So I cautiously believe "I won" w/ Intro to Hockey...my secret hope was they wouldn't love it enough to play, but wanted to provide the opportunity for them to make this self-discovery. I'm completely fine w/ just watching our other 3 boys do their thing and getting to a few of their games/tourneys this winter. 
So for now, our little hockey kids end here.

Nolan turned 6! We will celebrate him next week at his birthday party!


Baseball seems to be Finley's thing. He really really likes it. He wants to play catch and practice in the yard whenever someone is willing. This weekend was our home tourney, the Seymour Slam, he played 4 (hot) games this weekend.


Finley's favorite positions are catcher and third base.


Unfortunately we didn't place in our tournament, but the boys still had fun.

Hadley & Kendall don't watch any baseball, but they (thankfully) don't complain either. They play so well together at all of the games. And now they have a fun shade tent to play in too.


Mason & Kendall's mom & dad were Tough Mudders on Sunday, so we got to keep them w/ us.


After the hot-hot-hot weekend of baseball, the four finished Sunday cooling off in the lake.


Kendall wanted to go on the lily pad alllll day, she asked me a bazillion times if we could  go swim. When the time came, she perched herself on the dock and wouldn't go in/on...


...until she slipped and I happened to be taking a picture at the exact moment.


Finley made a few laps on the trainer skis, I'm hopeful he'll soon be brave and try the regular skis.


He worked on coming in/out of the wake - he looked petrified until he made the transition, then it was back to a smile.





No comments: