Sunday, May 11, 2008

Week 28 - Happy Mother's Day!

Not technically a mother yet…but I’m baking a baby so this day is for me too! Patrick surprised me with flowers!

Official Countdowns:
Days Until Summer Vacation: 18 school days
Baby Sullivan’s Estimated Arrival: 85 days (12 weeks)

In a typical day I have 3-5 braxton hicks (BH) contractions – nothing painful, just a tightening of my uterus. Feels funny to poke at my bump during one, it’s the most rock-hard my abs have ever been (and will ever be again!) But last weekend I got a little nervous…Saturday afternoon I wasn’t feeling the greatest, just felt weird, stomach hurt some, was having more BH than normal. I rested a bit in the afternoon, just thought the uncomforts of the 3rd tri were starting. Sunday morning the BH were still more frequent (2-3/hour), so I called Dr. Market to ask her medical and mommy opinions. Jewel told me to lie down, and drink, drink, drink (water, not Captain!). With her advice the contractions slowed, but around lunchtime I decided to call the hospital for more reassurance. I spoke with Dr. Burgess, she told me to lie down the rest of the day and drink, drink, drink (advice was consistent). She felt I had overdone it on Saturday and my body was telling me to slow down and was possibly a little dehydrated, (by 1:00 p.m. on Saturday I had gone for a run, cleaned the house and gone shopping at the mall - yeah, maybe pushed it!). I took it easy Sunday, and discovered bedrest would stink, in 7 hours I was up and down from the couch every 30 minutes to do a little something. Monday morning I took off from the gym…gasp! (First school day I’ve missed in over 2 years!) I really pushed fluids and felt much better by Monday afternoon. In hindsight, I believe it was dehydration, and it makes sense – lots of moving around on Saturday morning, my weight was down by 2 pounds, and my urine was bright yellow. Since then I’ve been drinking twice as much water each day and my BH have returned to the normal 3-5/day.


On Tuesday, my Grandma was a special visitor at school. My kindergartners are getting ready for 1st grade and are reading! Like all new skills, they need to practice; Grandma lent her ear and was a patient listener. She was impressed with their abilities and all kids love to show off :)

The Baby Fairy visited this week! This magnetic picture frame will be perfect for my filing cabinet when I return to work next winter.


Yesterday I drove to Hudson for a get-together with the crew. Kristi had double-foot surgery this winter; as a treat, Jill and I promised her a pedicure when her feet were healed. Little did I know Kristi’s treat would be a treat for me too – I’ve pledged to not paint my own toes until August – it hurts to bend over that long!


This is Baby Sullivan’s last week as an eggplant, as we move into month 7 next week, there’s a new food…I’m sure you’re dying with anticipation!

Baby has lashes now, and it's eyes open/close reflexively. Baby’s eyesight is improving and it may now look towards light sources (bring on the flashlight!). My midsection feels fuller now, I find myself arching my back after sitting for awhile, things feel squished. I’ve actually felt body parts from the outside – not sure which ones – but I’ll feel some pressure and feel something hard, a few minutes later it’s gone. Patrick has felt more movements and my mom may have felt something on Friday night.

Week 28 - Eggplant


****TMI ALERT***
Do you know what this is?
If so – it scares me! I set a diaper down for size-reference.

The scariest part? I’m actually going to need these!


3 comments:

Faith said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Faith said...

OMG! I'm laughing so hard right now! Yep, I know what they are!!! Unfortunately, they are a necessity - you won't be so horrified at their size when you're needing them!

Kristi, Dan & Liam said...

Oh.my.god...I'm so freaked out by those things. Glad you shared for future reference but seriously...do they really need to be THAT big???