Sunday, November 16, 2008

Exciting News!

Our exciting news…starting next fall, I will be working part-time! I have an opportunity to job-share and can’t let it pass by! Here’s the story…

It started as “wishful thinking”...Over the summer, I began talking to another kindergarten teacher, she is a new mom of an earlybird baby too. In September we had lunch and shared baby stories; then continued corresponding via email. Mostly we talked about our boys, but every once in a while the idea “Wouldn’t it be fun to job-share next year?” would come up. In the beginning I passed on the idea, losing half my salary seemed scary… and then Finley giggled! Truthfully - that night it hit me - I want to see his “firsts”. Within a few days, I nervously sent another email, “I’m in!”

I’m excited to introduce Mrs. Klay – my future job-share partner! Leslie has taught kindergarten for the ECASD for nine years, she currently teaches at Roosevelt. Leslie and Chris have a beautiful little boy named Caden; Caden is five weeks older than Finley. Check out Caden's blog...link on the right.

Leslie and I met with our principals last week and they are supportive of job-sharing. Both principals commented on how organized we are and the details we've already covered. More details will be worked out (and we need the school board's approval), but we have a great start. The plan is to teach kindergarten at Sherman, working two full days and one half-day each week. One of us will work Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday morning; the other will work Wednesday afternoon, Thursday and Friday, we will collaborate over lunch on Wednesdays. The best part??? Every week we will have 4.5 days at home with our baby!!!

Leslie and I have discovered we’re both Type A; we’ll either be a match made in heaven or drive each other crazy. I'm sure sticky situations will arise (especially the first year), but we’ve pledged to TONS of communication…if our emailing the past two months is any indicator – we’ll be fine! We believe we'll have the best of both worlds – a balance of a job we love, and extra time with our real loves - our boys!
Onto the real-reason you check-in each week…Mr. Finley! We had another quiet week at home, school is quickly approaching so I’m savoring every minute of it!

On Tuesday we had lunch with Grandma, Great-Grandma Market, Great-Aunt Ann and cousin Nixon. Aunt Ann made Finley a winter hat; the timing was perfect, while we were at lunch it rained, sleeted and snowed – gotta love Wisconsin!
Later that day, Finley practiced sitting…either we need to keep practicing or I need to click the camera faster...yeah, we'll keep practicing!Things are looking a little better...
Sitting may be so-so, but Finley’s doing really well in the excersaucer and Bumbo! More creative tummy-time...anything to stay off that flat-spot!
On Thursday, Finley and I visited his babysitter, Stephanie. We went over the details of what I need to bring, Finley’s routines, etc. Duncan (Stephanie's youngest) was excited about Finley’s outfit (covered in trucks and diggers), so he brought out his trucks to show Finley. Sad as I’ll be to drop Finley off, I know he’ll be in good hands. Stephanie offered to visit me at school (if I'm really sad) and agreed to let Finley come in his jammies - I figure that'll save me 15 minutes every morning!


Friday night we took our polar bear to Stella Blue's for dinner.
On Saturday, Finley attended his first kid-birthday party; Jake is turning one! Tara (Jake's mom) has been my friend forever - our moms were pregnant together. Tara is nineteen days older than me, and now we have boys that are eight months apart!


Saturday night we went to JB's hockey game, he plays for UW-River Falls. Pre-game we hit downtown River Falls for dinner...

...and Finley sat in a high chair for the first time!

At the arena, Finley stayed warm and cuddly in his Bundle-Me!
Grandpa and his boys!


Can you name the movie?

car seat + Bundle Me + winter coat = "Fat guy in a little coat, fat guy in a little coat..."

2 comments:

mestreen said...

Tommy Boy is my favorite movie of all time! :) Megan (Estreen) Wolfe

Kristi, Dan & Liam said...

Yay for job-sharing! Congratulations! And...oh.my.god...the last picture is hysterical. :)