Finley ate cereal about 4:30, I offered a bottle and he refused it (some-what normal). I was holding Finley, when I noticed he was getting real still and heavy. I peeked in a mirror to see if he’d fallen asleep on my shoulder, his eyes were open but he wasn't looking around. I noticed his breathing was a little “off” but he’d been stuffy so I assumed he was coming down with a cold. I set Finley in the swing to sleep and something just didn’t seem right. I watched him for a minute, and again, something didn’t seem right. I picked him up and he felt clammy, so I called my mom and cancelled our evening plans.
A few minutes later Finley seemed more lethargic, and his strange breathing was starting to scare me. I called my mom and asked her to stop by…something didn’t seem right. She called on her way and asked what was wrong, I looked down at Finley and he was very pale and beginning to take on a blue-gray tinge around his mouth and nose. I hung up and called 911!!
My dad got here first and grabbed Finley from me (911 wouldn’t hang up until the paramedics arrived). We could hear Finley breathe a little, but it wasn't normal and Finley was VERY lethargic - like he just couldn't keep his eyes open, hold up his head, etc; Grandpa was yelling his name, and patting his back – we wanted him to stay awake. We got Finley to cough a little, but there wasn’t any response to saying his name. A few minutes later Finley threw up, and he seemed a teeny-tiny more alert (like really teeny-tiny more, he still wasn't "right").
After taking the long-route to our house, the paramedics finally arrived. They took him, laid him down and he “woke up”, whatever we’d been witnessing seemed to be over…he started looking around, he began moving his limbs, etc. They took his vitals and everything was perfect; we decided to transport him to the ER ourselves. By the time we got to Luther – he was smiley, perky and flirty with the staff. They checked over our seemingly healthy boy and asked the on-call peditatrician for his thoughts. He thought Finley might have had a “laryngospasm” in his throat, causing his airway to be restricted and make breathing difficult (the blue-gray skin color). Upon research, his symptoms fit the description of a laryngospasm perfectly. The ER advised us to see Dr. Myhre on Wednesday morning.
After a restless night (for me, not Finley, he slept like an angel), we went to see Dr. Myhre. After listening to my recount of the evening, she also believed he’d had a laryngospasm caused by a strong reflux of stomach acids. When you reflux, the acid is trying to get up, your throat/vocal chords will restrict/spasm to keep the acid down, thus blocking your airway; even causing some people to faint. Finley’s body had a completely normal (but totally scary) reaction to reflux. Dr. Myhre gave us feeding tips, offered zantac (we declined for now), and advised us on what to do if this should happen again.
So...while my first 911 call was scary, the overall diagnosis wasn't - just scary symptoms - Thank God! This Thanksgiving I was very thankful my little boy was OK – I swear I’ll have a nervous breakdown before he’s one year old!
Grandma Lynn babysat Finley on Wednesday afternoon. I went to school and started preparing for my return – what do you know? I remember how to lesson plan!
Thanksgiving was fun – Grandma made an excellent meal, and I ate enough puppy chow to feed five dogs. After convincing Patrick that pumpkin pie shouldn’t be Finley’s first taste of real food, he compromised on sweet potatoes (baby food, not the stuff with brown sugar). Finley took it without making a face!
We were fortunate to have family and friends to celebrate Thanksgiving with!
Finley participated in Daddy's annual post-Thanksgiving-meal nap!
Another tradition is for the women to sit around the table and look at shopping ads. None of us are brave (or crazy) enough to venture out at 4 a.m. for shopping, so we look for bargains we'll never get and talk about the crazy shoppers. Finley sat in his bumbo and joined in on the planning.
Finley officially played peek-a-boo! I didn’t catch it on camera; it took me a few minutes to realize what he was doing. I was holding him at the table and Great Grandma Market was repeating “Peek a Boo!” to Finley. After a few minutes, I noticed that he was burying his face into my neck and then would look up at her, he continued to do it about 10+ times in a row – he was doing it on purpose!! It was the sweetest thing ever!
Thanksgiving was a fun, yet long day full of eating and playing. We were all tired that night!
Patrick took Finley to Neillsville on Friday; Aunt Shawna and Great Grandpa Wally were visiting for Thanksgiving.
Friday night we celebrated BabyMac’s impending arrival with his/her baby shower at our house. It was a fun night catching up and meeting new babies!
On Saturday, Finley, Aunt Shawna and I spent the day at the mall. Saturday night Jeff, Lisa and their new addition Breanna joined us for dinner. It was fun to hold a new baby, she’s about 6 weeks old. Breanna has the cutest head of hair – there’s so much and it stands straight up! She made Finley seem like such a big boy!
Sunday morning Finley said goodbye to Aunt Shawna – he loves her a lot! Finley was sleep-crying Saturday night and Aunt Shawna beat me there. By the time I got to his room, she was already giving him his Nuk.
Finley will soon be five months old and I've cut his fingernails twice - OK more like 1.5 times. The first time I did two nails, so today I sat down to attempt all ten...my biggest fear - I drew blood! Finley never even peeped, so I didn't know I'd cut him - oops! Back to Grandma's for the next manicure!
Other cute pictures from Finley’s last full-week at home, I start work on Thursday…it’s killing me already!
No comments:
Post a Comment