Sunday, December 7, 2008

Live for the Weekends?!

It came and passed...I went back to work! Do all parents live for weekends to come? I couldn't wait to be home with Finley! We both survived my return, I worked Thursday and Friday; a short transition before a full week. As Thursday got closer the anticipation had me sad, sick to my stomach, stressed and anxious. It literally pained me to leave him! Fortunately I have a nice class, and I was very busy at work, the days went pretty quickly.

****For the record, I will be working part-time NEXT year. A few people (including my own dad) thought I returned this week working part-time. I will finish this year full-time and the 09-10 school year I’ll be job-sharing.****

Grandma watched Finley on Thursday and Friday, Monday he’ll start daycare, there will be tears again. I know he’ll be fine, but I like being home with him! I want to be there to decipher his hungry-cry from his tired-cry (I swear they are a little different), I like practicing his growing skills of sitting and tummy time, I like being the one that can comfort him like no one else…Stephanie will learn his cries and figure out how he likes to be cuddled, but I already know and I want to do it! Next year, next year, next year…. I savored every moment of Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. We didn’t do a lot, but that was perfect – three slow days together.

On Monday, Finley and Spencer visited Santa! Finley must’ve liked Santa, look at that smile!
More sitting practice, tummy-time, and EVERYTHING goes into Finley's mouth now. He's a drool monster and can't get his hands in far enough. Finley could be teething; unfortunately babies can "teeth" for months before there's any evidence of a tooth.

Our first self-portrait :)

Finley tried green beans this week….they were OK. He also tried applesauce...YUM!

On Wednesday, we went out for lunch. I will miss running errands and being in the real world during the week days.

Finley slept most of Thursday at Grandma’s – Patrick said it's because I wasn’t there so he figured he'd just sleep. I wondered if he remembered me during the day? I don’t mean when I picked him up – he certinaly knows me, I got a HUGE smile. But, did he wonder where I was throughout the day?? “Hey? Where’s that lady that’s usually with me?” Or did he remember me just when I picked him up? “Hey! I know her!” Who knows?! But he was happy to see me and I was VERY happy to see him!

Here I am dropping Finley off on my second day; I made a very fast drop-off on my first day back. I was too upset and didn't see the point of dragging it out...I literally hugged him, kissed him, burst into tears and ran out the door...day two was a teeny bit easier.
Finley is FIVE months old! He’s 14 pounds 12 oz and 23.74 inches long! This week I packed up most of his 0-3 clothes and brought out his 3-6 month stuff…seems appropriate, a 5-month old shouldn’t be wearing 0-3, he’s a big boy now, not a baby!
Finley is getting too big for the babytub! We are borrowing a bath chair from Spencer until he can sit better. He seems to be enjoying it :)
“That Baby” was entertaining Finley in the bathroom mirror again; Finley was telling That Baby a big story. I was standing by the door and attempted to get his talking on video…of course then he got quiet, so I said something to get him going again…you’d think he heard the voice of God! Watch him look for me :)



We had a busy weekend! Friday night we hosted a family-friendly gathering with my high school friends, significant others and children. Our group continues to grow as more and more kids are added.

Matt and family stayed at a hotel, so Saturday morning we took Finley swimming for the first time. He didn’t mind it at all!
Saturday night the parents hit the town and the grandparents babysat. The grandparents took the kids to a basketball game…the parents celebrated Becky’s 30th…the morning-after BIG nights aren’t much fun, a baby adds new pain to a hangover….just ask Patrick…oh wait, he wouldn’t know he slept until 1:30 p.m

No comments: