Am I excited? No. Is it hard to see my baby in it? Yes. Have I cried today? Yes, a lot this evening. Will it be worth it in the end? It better be, or I'll be REALLY pissed - seriously :)
We met Olga today, she'll be the occupational therapist we'll see each appointment. She will make the adjustments every two weeks. She was very nice; she must've felt bad for me (tears) - I left with her home phone number and permission to call anytime.
The helmet was custom-made for Finley, today Olga finished the ear holes, and trimmed off the neck. It took about two hours, with lots of putting the helmet on, taking it off, sanding it down, etc; Finley put up with it pretty well.
After Olga made her markings, she'd go next door and do the sanding...we waited patiently.
Olga taught me how to put it on, how to clean it, and went over the adjustment period (in five days he'll be wearing it 23 hours each day). Olga guessed Finley's helmet-therapy to last four months...grrrr...I'm still hoping for only three...can you tell how excited I was?
Finley wore the helmet for 10 minutes before we left, over the adjustment period we are watching for red marks that don't disappear in an hour; that would signal an ill-fit. We go back on the 30th to see how the first week is going and they'll make necessary adjustments right away. Finley slept through his first "go" with the helmet...
Unfortunately he wasn't restful wearing it at home this evening; he hated it, he pulled at it, cried and only wanted to be held. An evening probably wasn't the best time to start (for today and tomorrow he wears it an hour, off for an hour, repeat), hopefully tomorrow will be better when he's not tired.
These pictures are deceiving from our evening at home...but here are a few from the first fifteen minutes he had it on. It went downhill after that, I counted down the 60 minutes...
Our first self-portrait with Finley's helmet...if I'm OK with it, everybody else should be too right?
Is my baby still super-cute? Yes!
4 comments:
I think he looks cute! I love that you picked out an outfit to match. Can't wait to see him today!
He looks like a little hockey player! Thoughts are with you :)
f
I'm sure each day will get easier! Hang in there, he still is a little cutie!
I think he looks cute too! The blue color actually makes his eyes look super blue in that last pic. Have a good xmas and I'll call if I'm in town this weekend.
Post a Comment