Sunday, September 7, 2014

My Kindergartner

A raccoon in our yard doesn't surprise me. A raccoon that stares us down scares me.

Hadley will start a tap/ballet class on Thursday. It's a weekly class for the school year and will end with a recital in spring. She immediately liked her tap shoes...

...and evidently she poses for pictures with weirdo looks on her face?

We went for a pontoon ride on Labor Day.

The kids have watched for the seaplane all summer, we were excited to see it finally return.

Pontoon selfies - just because.

Even the icees are big at Sam's Club. 

Finley had his first soccer game as a Droid!

One major change this year - a real ref. And by real I mean a 12-year old boy ;) After what seemed like the world's longest soccer game, the final whistle blew. Rather than letting the clock run (for two 20 minute halves), the ref had been stopping/starting the clock, he assured us next weekend he'd remember to let it run. Checking for shin guards.

And they were off! Another change, they play 5 on 5.

Finley took a couple digs and was even stung by a bee - rough game.

What's up? 


 Dancing!

Game over.

From Finley's game to Peter's game, it was fun to see the big boys play.


I don't know if this has ever happened before. I don't know if it'll ever happen again. But I liked it.

The kids played with the neighbors all weekend, it's all they want to do. Are the neighbors home? Can the neighbors play? Can I go over? Can they come here?  Do you see them outside? Can you call their mom? Can you text their dad? I'm not sure how Finley ever survived without neighbor kids.

They joined us for a non-relaxing pontoon ride and bonfire at Grandpa & Grandma's house.

It happened.

Finley o'fish'ally started kindergarten!

Tuesday was Family Learning Day, an opportunity for students to meet their teacher and drop off supplies. I was happy that my school had an extra-long lunch allowing me to attend Finley's open house too.


When my kids were toddlers/babies, my kindergartners always seemed so big. Now they seem small.

His locker.

His classroom.

His teacher, Mrs. Conlin.


Finley's first full-day was Thursday. I was so happy to have a home-day and be able to drive him to school.

Walking up...

...and finding his line.

Grandpa came to see him off too.

The bell rang and it was time to go inside. Kinda crazy, the day before I was the teacher walking kids into school, 24 hours later and I was the mom standing on the outside. We waved, we blew kisses, we flashed the I love you sign, and he walked in. 

Exactly seven hours later he walked out tired, crabby, and full of fun stories. 


Finley's not thrilled about going to school on my home-days and I can't really blame him. But he was ready to go back the next day. He tried both hot and cold lunch, it's my hope he'll take hot a few times/week (I hate packing my own lunches). This week he'll attend before/after school care (at his school) on my work days and he wants to try the bus on Wednesday. Now we need to find our routine of checking his folder (he likes homework - ha), and getting the kids to bed early. Tonight's bedtime was extra easy, we were reading books and he was asleep by 6:30.


It feels good to have the nervous-energy of anticipation behind me/us. His t-shirt looks so big, but I'll blink and this will be a TBT. Class of 2027!

No comments: