Sunday, May 3, 2015

We Race

I use the word rugrat at both home and school as a term of endearment. The dictionary's definition of 'rugrat' is a young child. To me, a rugrat is a messy, adorable, and spirited little kid. For example, her.

Ugh the clothes, I've lost the battle. Sparkly sandals, socks w/ stars, jammies w/ your undies hanging out...

....it's you. 

Sparkly sandals, socks with stars, running pants, messy-messy bun, headband, two necklaces, two bracelets and a dachshund purse. You win.


Her refusal to pose/smile admits a little shame ;)


But there is no shame in her game. I caught her dancing in front of the mirror, she blushed but continued.

Finley thought I was taking a picture of his bubble-blowing, no just the outfit. Under Armour anything (his teacher probably thinks he has five shirts total) and now he's into tall socks. Preferably neon, or black w/ neon stripes.


She plays "Josie" in the bathtub. We tug-of-war with a diving torpedo.

One busy evening, it was straight from work/school to the soccer park. Dinner was served in the back of my car. That is not her large diet coke, it's mine. I gotta get my energy somewhere.


Finley didn't seem quite as hesitant. But he shared that he's worried his feet will get kicked...which might happen in soccer.


Mid-play he sat down and tied his shoes.

Hadley's first dance recital is only a few weeks away!

I keep our candy and chocolate chips in a basket in the pantry. Helpful Hadley dumped them all out of their bags - ugh.

And snacked while she sorted out her mess.

We baked cookies.

Finley delivered May Day baskets to our neighbors...that's him in BRIGHT orange sneaking across the yard.

They returned the surprise with treats for these two - complete with a doorbell disappearing act.

I started packing. I can feel myself moving through the grief-stages. Last week I was sobby-sobby. This week I'm mad. But I'm really really really liking the idea of less stress. Probably because I'm full of it right now. There's a lot to do between now and June 11th at school. There's a lot going on at home between now and June 11th. I packed up my first few boxes and I found my old signs in a drawer. They came home with me.

Soccer Saturday. 

After the ring pop, Grandpa kept Hadley busy. 

Finley has outgrown his Lightning McQueen bike both in size and interest...he's no longer a Cars guy. We told Finley he could choose a new bike for his birthday. It makes no sense to let half of summer slip by, so we made it an early birthday gift. We went to a real bike store and he picked out a blue Giant bike.


Happy early Birthday Finley!

The first Cheri Uelmen's Fantastically Fun Kids Run. Cheri, my colleague and friend, was tragically killed in a bike race last fall. Cheri had two passions - fitness and children. Maybe three passions, she really liked wine too ;) Cheri's daughter-in-law is  co-director of the EC Marathon and this year they created a kid's run/obstacle course.
 

There were two events, one for ages 2-5 and one for 5+. Everyone warmed up together.




Hadley was up first, getting directions at the starting line. 

She's under spiderman's left thigh.


Hadley & I ran the half-mile obstacle course. The obstacles were perfect for this group. 

Sister likes running with her mom. (Her mom likes running with her too)

The tube slide was the finish.


Finley was up next. He was excited to see a soccer buddy and other friends there too. 

In a controlled-way, they only let a few kids go at a time.

Finley ran the one-mile course. He's big enough he didn't 'need' us to run with him, so we only saw the obstacles closest to the start/finish.

Onto the finish line/tube.

The energy at the kid's run was Cheri-high...no one had more energy than Cheri. She would rollerblade to happy hour and ride her bike to teach aerobics. The crowd was FULL of Sherman Stars and staff, along with a great turnout from our community. Cheri would've been humbled, but proud.

My turn. I ran the half-marathon this morning. It went OK, but not very well. Perhaps motivation to start making some changes? I've been running, but not pushing myself since last fall and it's showing (and being felt).


I like seeing the kids, Patrick does a good job of finding me 3-4 times.

Finishing is my favorite part.


My official time was 1:39:50, about three minutes slower than last year. I was the 11th woman, 5th last year. Patrick says I'm no longer a spring chicken (ouch), but I'm blaming the heat and lack of real training...which I've never done much of, but maybe I need to start.

Done-done and happy.

No comments: