Sunday, September 6, 2015

Figuring this Out

On his last full day of summer vacay, Finley wanted to paint pottery w/o Hadley. A definite Yes. He chose a football bowl.

Hadley has a new trick, she can ride one-handed. (Little sister will get a new girly bike for Christmas or her birthday, but she doesn't complain about riding the old Lightning McQueen bike)

We hiked our trail to the sledding hill. It looks a lot different right now.

The kids built a fort in our empty lot (right behind our house). It's perfect because they can play out there and I can both see/hear them from our kitchen. Our kids (mine/neighbors) discovered a fort someone else built about three blocks away. The kids wanted to show it to me. It has a neat climbing tree...

...and empty beer cans. Ugh. They will NOT be playing here w/o an adult.

The weather has turned rainforest-like, it's so sticky. Homemade snowcones.

I decided in my not-career I will acquire the taste of wine. We all need a goal right? I'm starting sweet. Thanks Kristen for sharing ;)

The unofficial first day of school kicked off w/ a favorite...DD breakfast.

Family Learning Day!

Finley found his desk. Hadley would pay $1,000,000 to be in first grade too.

We are super-excited that Finley was placed in Mrs. Gilbert's class. Finley met her during Safety Town two years ago, she lives near us, her kids ride Finley's bus, I went to high school w/ her, she's perfect for us. It makes me happy knowing he's in caring and kind hands.

Finley was very quiet on our drive to Family Learning Day, a something-is-bugging-you quiet. He shrugged when I asked what was wrong. I think he was anxious. In hopes he'd feel better, I reminded him of how he already knows (lunch line, where the bathroom is, how to find his bus, etc). And I carried on and on and on like a fool about how little kindergartners are. We arrived at school and he was still quiet, then Finley found his locker and read the name of his lockermate - Nicholas. Yes, yes, yes, yes, it's Nicholas! I share my locker w/ Nicholas! Finley could not have smiled bigger. That was it, he was relaxed and ready to start first grade. (Thank you Nicholas!)

The next day was the real first day of school.

She insisted on a picture together and he cringed :(  You are not too cool for us yet!

We walked Finley to the playground. I would've stayed and waved as he entered, but he started to cry. Mrs. Gilbert swooped in, Mrs. Holman (his favorite kindergarten aide) swooped in, so knowing it was easiest for him/them, I swooped out. I looked back and he was smiling as I got into the car. Phew.

So now what? Hadley & I visited Andrea (another former K teacher) for coffee, then we ran errands. I offered to take her to Panera for lunch, she insisted on eating at Sam's Club, ick.

Not going to lie, my not-career doesn't feel right yet. It feels weird. It feels strange. It feels a little slow. We got home and the cleaning lady was at our house. This felt way wrong. I still don't want to dust (spoiled I know), but I don't really want to find stuff to do every-other Wednesday so she can clean w/o me watching. Yeah, that's strange. So we sat in the driveway while she finished up. The not-career is going to take some getting used to.

We can't run errands everyday, so on our first full home day w/o Finley, we kinda wandered around. She's used to a built-in playmate. I'm used to home-days packed w/ school work and email. So we just hung out. This is the part I hope gets better. And by better I mean, more structured/purposeful. I don't mind having this time w/ Hadley, but we need stuff to do. Coffee dates can't happen everyday (or can they?). Maybe I'm too used to going 100 mph during the school year and living off a to-do list? Shit I used to put make a to-do list on my to-do list. Within the next two weeks she'll be in school, I'm volunteering twice at NW, both will have soccer practices and games, she'll be in two dance classes, and both will have church on Wednesday nights. I think the structure I'm needing/missing will fall into place w/ all of the running around. The good news is, I'm WAY more excited about all of their activities than usual...because I won't be sitting at the soccer park wishing I was at home working on my to-do list. Yeah, OK, I'll get there, but this still feels weird and a little lazy.

K prep - it was her idea.

An important lesson - people are not heads w/ arms and legs, we have bodies too (but I 'heart' her little spider-like people).

She will NOT be a surgeon.

Baking cookies for Finley...because that's what Gramma Laura does on the first day of school, now a perfect tradition for us too.

Sister taught herself how to deliver my favorites - water and diet coke. Yes and yes. Once she can ride her bike to McD for coffee I'll be completely set.

Hadley had meet-the-teacher night at 4K. Miss Emily is her new teacher, fortunately we know Miss Emily from Hadley's time at daycare, so the comfort-level starts off high.

I can't believe she's old enough to start 4K. She's so cute.

Hadley had her very first soccer practice - thanks to Auntie, she has pink shin guards, pink soccer socks, and pink soccer cleats.

U5 is easily the cutest age to watch, Hadley is an Owl this year. Her coach is a former high school player and his assistant (his dad) was a high school goalie coach and is now a soccer ref. I think they'll learn a lot this year - me too!


About 1 a.m. the flu hit this one. Thankfully she recognizes the urge and can hit a bowl, she had to hit the bowl twice in the car just driving Finley to school. Gross.

A hot, hot, hot bike ride.


We're a little late w/ this summer must-do, but dinner at the Classic Garage is checked off.

We are off and running in our new life, I cannot believe I have a first grader! And for fun, I like to compare.

Kindergarten:

First Grade:

Side by side:

Finley had a great first day of first grade! Let's hope the rest of the year goes as well!










No comments: