Monday, April 25, 2016

Marathon 3.0 - The Boston Marathon

The Boston Marathon is the most famous marathon in the US. This year was the 120th anniversary of the marathon and the 50th anniversary since women were allowed to participate. Everything you've ever heard about the celebration surrounding this marathon is true...and then some.

Boston Qualifying was never a goal, running the Boston Marathon was never a bucket list item and there I was...CROSSING THE FINISH LINE OF THE BOSTON MARATHON! (all of the runners were putting their arms up, so like a nerd I did too).

18 months ago I qualified and six months ago I was accepted into the Boston Marathon. That's a long time to think about something that's over in under four hours. The emotions were full and real. The emotions conflicted one another. So when I sound down on myself, know that isn't all I feel, you'll see happy thoughts too. But in truth, there was some bitter w/ this sweet. The good news, it seems to be getting sweeter as the days pass.

Two weeks before the run I started to fall apart. My physical body felt strong and ready, but my head was someplace else. I started to worry about anything and everything that could maybe go wrong. I actually googled...How hard is the Boston Marathon? and I'm scared to run the Boston Marathon. (Seriously - who does that?!) I also started checking Boston's weather forecast 13 days out, and by "checking" I mean compulsively 4-5 times/day for nearly two weeks. I was obsessed w/ concerns of dehydration, muscle cramps, stomach issues, proper fuel for a late-morning start, hills, etc.  If you talked to me at anytime in those two weeks, you know I was scared out of my mind. I wanted this to go well and I was scared of failure. Ugh, I was my own worst enemy.

I found myself feeling mad for not being as excited as everyone around me - yes, I was a total basket case! But the support was real - I was floored w/ the number of cards, texts, messages, and phone calls I received before leaving. This message from my cousin made me laugh...

...no joke there.

Two days before we left, I started to settle down and come to peace. I knew my body was ready for this, but for one reason my mind wasn't - I had a goal. A mostly unspoken goal, but there was a time in my mind and I couldn't let go of the disappointment I would feel if I didn't reach it. We got to the airport and I spent a few minutes in the bathroom dry heaving right before we boarded. On the runway I was thinking I still have time to not go. I do not want to do this. I don't want to finish and feel disappointed w/ my time. A few tears finally came.

We landed and while still scared, I was feeling a little better. I'm here, I can do this.

We went to the expo to get my race packet and bib.

There was a GIANT poster that listed the names of all the entrants - we found me!

At the expo we watched a video highlighting the course. The video offered tips of when to save energy and sights to expect along the route. The video was both exciting and frightening - I got very caught up on the infamous Newton Hills (that's plural) and Heartbreak Hill. I'd been worried about these hills for two weeks and the video confirmed my fears - they were going to be tough. After the expo we walked down to the finish line...



...and the guys pretended to beat me.

After our craptastic view in Cancun, we scored the room w/ the best view of Boston.

Sunday was spent being tourists. The original 4 rode the hop on/off trolley and took in some sight-seeing, lunch, and a little shopping.

Tour was over.

Patrick managed to pull a connection and get two tickets to the Boston Red Sox game. And somehow these two found themselves ON THE FIELD of Fenway Park. There's a giant story, and it seems to get funnier each time it's told, but I assure you typing it out wouldn't do the story justice. The "helpers" (fibbers) helped hang the enormous American flag that hung during the Red Sox's game on Patriot's Day. Seriously, could Ryan's smile be any bigger?! 

We used Uber to get around Boston, a first for some of us. This car was not big enough for all of us.

Even though I didn't run until 10:50, I needed to leave the room at 6:45. Fortunately, getting ready for a run doesn't take a lot of work. A quick shower and three special marker-tattoos of some favorites that were coming w/ me.

Final goodbyes and good lucks.

Walking to the Uber that would take me to Boston Commons where I would catch a bus to Athlete's Village.

Patrick brought along the signs Finley & Hadley hold at local events.

My cheering section was ready and they were (literally) bringing me w/ them. My extra big fathead on a golf ball retriever w/ a balloon attached was how I'd find them along the course.

It was so big and giant, there was no way I could miss me.

While they ate donuts in the cab... 

...I was loading one of many many many school buses that take the runners on a 45 minute drive to Athlete's Village in Hopkinton, MA. Something I learned...the Boston Marathon ISN'T actually running IN Boston, it's running TO Boston. We started in Hopkinton and ran through a few small communities finishing in downtown Boston. Crazy-enough, I think we only turned on 3-4 streets, otherwise it was pretty much a straight shot there.

I spent the 45 minute drive wondering when we'd be there - seriously, we have to run back that far?! And going through tons of texts/messages wishing me luck, including some extra special messages from home.


A giant THANK YOU to Auntie Shawna for taking time off of work and flying up to stay w/ Finley & Hadley. She gave me the gift of not worrying about these two for one single second! I think they were more excited about the Laser Maze at Action City than wishing me luck ;)

Athlete's Village was the holding area until your wave is called to walk to the starting line. I was in wave 3, which meant I had nearly two hours to wait. There were so.many.people. Bagels, water, gatorade, and Cliff products were provided while we waited. It was fun/interesting to people-watch, but essentially w/ everyone wearing throw-away clothes to stay warm, it looked like a sea of bums hanging out.

Security was very tight because of the 2013 bombing near the Boston Marathon finish line. I was searched before entering the bus and snipers were on the roof watching Athlete's Village. The entire race course had a heavy presence of police officers and military personnel.

After Cheri passed away, her family discovered that many of their pictures contained sunbeams and it became a sign of Cheri's presence w/ them. A quick selfie and I discovered she was with me.

My wave was finally called and it was a long walk - maybe 3/4 of a mile to get to the starting line. We were on a residential street, many of the homes were decorated w/ signs and people were out front wishing us luck as we passed. The same thoughts kept going through my mind...This is so many people. So many people that are going to run a full marathon. This is the Boston Marathon. Holy shit - how'd you get yourself here? You are about to start the Boston Marathon, like the real Boston Marathon!

Before I even started, my family (and my fathead) headed out too.


I did not take this picture, but this is what I could see about 1/10 of a mile away - me, way above the crowd. The fathead isn't cute, but it was very effective.

They first spotted me at roughly mile 5-6, I was smiling...

...and they were cheering!


I had three worries on this course - the hills, the temperature, my stomach.

The hills - I'd been worried about these for two weeks. I know three Boston Marathon finishers and they all received messages from me wondering How bad are the hills? All of them reassured me that EC has tougher hills, but the placement of the three biggest hills (miles 17-20) made them tougher than they actually were. There were a few smaller hills towards the finish too. I had myself convinced that everyone was lying to me and I'd be running up Mt. Everest.

The temperature - It was around 70 degrees in Hopkinton when I started and very sunny. W/o a single cloud in the sky I ran in direct sun the entire time. After winter training, the heat caused me to worry about dehydration. I worried enough that I started drinking water around mile 3, way early for me. 

My stomach - If you've ever run w/ a friend (or even a stranger) one subject always comes up among runners - poop. Runner's diarrhea is real enough to me that I plan my training routes to include 2-3 gas stations just in case. TMI ;)

Around mile 8 my stomach started to cramp, w/ 18 miles to go, I knew this wasn't good. I saw my family again around mile 15, you can tell by my face that the run wasn't as fun anymore.

Even though I was feeling crappy - both emotionally and physically, the miles really did pass quickly. I had a general idea of where my family would be, so I concentrated on getting to the next spot. It seemed I was quickly 8 miles in, then 10, then halfway. At mile 17.5 I hit the first of the three Newton Hills and mile 18 proved to be the longest mile of the entire run. I was one hill up, I was feeling sick, and mentally I knew I still had a significant distance to go. Finally I hit 20 miles, the infamous Heartbreak Hill. From the pictures you can see some start to walk (I didn't!), but this hill wasn't a joke. This is the last time I'd see my family before it was over.

Desperate for water to carry, I took the water out of my dad's pocket. (The girl in the white jacket is a family friend that goes to college in Boston, my family were able to connect/meet up w/ her).

The next set of pictures are from the Boston Marathon photographers. I have no idea where they fall into the miles, so I'll just fill the space w/ stories and random pictures that don't actually align. Judging by my face, I have to assume these all fall later in the race.

Shortly after Heartbreak Hill, I knew my goal was no longer possible and my stomach felt so sick. After a few minutes of debating w/ myself, I decided I had to find a porta-potty. This was soooo disappointing, in all of the races I've ever run, I have never-ever stopped mid-race for a bathroom break. But I decided on the off-chance I'd feel better, it might be worth it. This happened again at mile 22. So there I was SITTING on a flippin' gross toilet in the middle of the Boston Marathon. I couldn't believe it. The biggest race of my life and I'm in a stinky hot box - twice! Ugh, frustrating. 

For everything that felt shitty (pun intended), there were some things that were incredible. On repeat in my head was You are running the Boston Marathon! The real Boston Marathon! How many people get to say they ran Boston?!  I'd read enough (too much?) about the course and the famous happenings - the girls of Wellesley College, the million spectators, the sounds of the crowd, and the sincerity of the 9,400 volunteers. Everything I'd read about, I was experiencing!

Once we hit Boston, the large crowd got even larger. W/ the stomach issues and an overall sluggishness, it took until mile 25 to confidently believe I would finish. There were still two more smaller hills, but at that point I knew I had it in me to finish. 

So I turned onto Boylston Street, found the energy to smile, and I finished. Words cannot describe the feelings coming down Boylston Street, the crowd was insanely large, and you are within yards/feet of finishing the best marathon in the world.

As we crossed into the finishing area, there was an announcer w/ powerful words...Welcome to Boston! You have completed the most famous marathon in the world! You are making history as a participant in the 2016 Boston Marathon! YOU are a Boston Marathoner! Congratulations! And there I was, wondering how I ever got here - a Boston Marathoner.

For all the awesomeness of finishing a marathon, I am bummed about my actual run. I didn't feel strong. I am proud that I finished, but I'm disappointed in my finishing time. I was physically ready for this, but I had mentally beat myself down before I even left my house. And in hindsight, that tarnished my enjoyment of the run. I wish I hadn't. Regardless, I'm pretty proud of this thing.

But believe me - I was HAPPY to wear my finisher's jacket. And I was happy to eat. And I was happy to have a drink.

After a quick shower we celebrated over dinner, ooooohhh it felt good to sit at the table and have no more worries! We were fortunate to meet up w/ an old family friend that lives in Massachusetts.

My recovery was quick, I took a couple days off, then hit the elliptical, by Saturday I was ready for a short run, and today I ran my normal 10 miles. My muscles are feeling OK, but my back is peeling from 3 hours and 53 minutes of direct sunlight - that's a burn!

I felt like a celebrity coming home - the house was decorated and the kids were ready w/ hugs!




They wondered if I won - I love them.


Here's the thing w/ the Boston Marathon... It's unlike anything else. It's real. It's 30,000 people running. It's 1,000,000 people cheering you on. It's so so so big. The streets were packed the entire run, the sidelines were full the entire way. This city knows how to do a marathon.

The support is indescribable. The volunteers - everyone from packet pick-up to the water stations to the women peeling our post-race bananas - they were all smiling, helpful, and seemed genuinely happy for us. The strangers cheering for strangers - they are loud and heard. The runners helping others...the runner in green was struggling on the final steps, two other runners stopped to help him across the finish line. These three did not know each other, but the kindness of strangers is happening in Boston. 

This year a number of bombing survivors returned to take back the course. In one of my finishing photos, I saw the man behind me on prosthetic legs. Wondering if he was a BM survivor, I looked up his bib number. He isn't, but he lost his legs helping a fallen comrade to a rescue helicopter in Afghanistan. The marathon was full of people w/ inspiring stories of why they run.

My personal support was bigger than I imagined and so meaningful to me. I had people run miles w/ me in subzero temps. I had people help w/ the kids while I trained. I had people following me via the internet. I have read and re-read the posts, messages, texts, and cards I received. But I think Finley might be my biggest fan. Thankfully his teacher is a friend and helped him stay connected to my progress. She signed up for text alerts, then let Finley have her iphone for the day - yeah, what teacher does this?!  Only one of the best! It melted me to see these pictures.

He knew I finished!


On Wednesday, he proudly wore my medal to school.


Many people followed along from home, but these five followed me there. Thank you for coming, thank you for putting up w/ me, thank you for taking the logistical thinking off my shoulders while we were there.

I debated sharing this, but it's my post and it's my letter and it makes me feel pretty special...

Heather,

I want you to know how incredibly proud I am of you and your accomplishment of becoming a "Boston Marathoner".

Not only the motivation to complete the actual marathon, but also all of the training during those cold winter months. You obviously have the ability to set a goal and to achieve it. That's what sets you apart from so many of us.

I read many of the comments on Facebook and how inspiring you have become to so many. You should take great pride in the hundreds of people that were tagging along. Their comments were sincere and very motivating. I also can't help but think about how proud Grandma Market would have been. Hopefully she was watching.

Be proud of yourself, you earned every bit of it. I know I am certainly proud of you!!

Love,
Dad

So now what? In six days I get to run the EC Half Marathon w/ Melissa as she completes her first 13.1 mile run, I can't wait! As for Boston, I'm starting to let my disappointed feelings go. I mean come on - I finished the Boston Marathon! And hopefully soon I'll stop finishing that sentence up w/...but my time wasn't good. That disappointed feeling has sparked interest to run another marathon, crazy maybe?! Maybe something in 2017 (my family just cringed). Other than the time-suck, training went well and I have a giant burn to prove to myself I can run stronger than I did on April 18, 2016. But I'm part of a club and we are Boston Strong.




1 comment:

Mary said...

This blog was one of your best. I loved every word of it . . . and stop worrying about how it went and just be so very very proud that you did it. I am only one person who thinks you did great. Our family now has a celebrity!! YOU!!!