Monday, May 2, 2016

The Running Bug

W/ my giant marathon post last week, I have two weeks of kid catch-up down below. But first, I'm going to talk about more running. Because, basically it's all I've talked and thought about for two weeks. I can't believe the Boston Marathon was already two weeks ago today. And yesterday I finished up my spring running events w/ the EC Half Marathon.

W/ my not-career, this year I decided to not only run the EC Half Marathon, but to also be a volunteer. It was fun to be behind the scenes. I helped w/ the expo set-up Friday night and worked packet pick-up all day Saturday. I bumped into many former colleagues and friends at the expo, it was like a giant social gathering of my favorite runners.

This is Parker, he was my student one of my first years of teaching kindergarten. His mom posted this on FB, so sweet (you may need to tap the photo to make it bigger). And his mom also Boston Qualified at the EC Marathon yesterday!


Following the expo was Cheri Uelmen's Fantastically Fun Kids Run. My kids had so much fun last year, they were eager to participate again, this year the Bullis Boys did too.

Hadley & Nolan were up first for a .5 mile obstacle course. 


Hadley was pretty serious about it! I love this picture of Grandpa pointing and the determined look on her face. 

On, through, over and under...




Sister has stride.

And she's done w/ a totally exhausted look. I have a feeling she might be a runner someday, I think she'll quickly pass Finley in speed/endurance.


The happy/tired face when it's over.


Easton was up next, he ran the one-mile obstacle course.


High-five from Grandpa as he heads to the finish line!


Finley & Spencer were off on the one-mile course too.


I didn't realize they'd started and missed most of Spencer.


Finley was still smiling coming out of the woods.


And onto the finish line!



Post race snacks are the best part!


Great job Finley & Hadley! These two have followed my runs since they were babies, it's fun to now watch them!

After the Monster Dash last October, I decided Melissa should run the EC Half, what's three more miles?! She didn't take much convincing and she signed up! Later this winter, Ryan signed up too. I was really excited to run w/ them on their first half marathon. 


Waiting at the starting line and Cheri showed up in my picture too.

Pre-race selfie! Amy is a close family friend and ran the EC Full Marathon last year. We all met up to start together, it's more fun w/ friends. It felt soooo good to only feel excited and not nervous at all.


The EC Marathon seems to get bigger and better each year. This year the course took us over EC's new high bridge (photo credit to Thane) and the Blugold Mile was bigger/louder. It's fun running in EC, you see many familiar faces along the route. This run, I stopped to give high-fives and tell everyone that Melissa was a first-timer! 

We had two groups out - Patrick, Dave, Finley, Hadley, Elle & Elise and my parents, Heidi, Spencer, Easton & Nolan. This worked out great, we saw someone nearly every mile for the first 9ish miles. See how much happier I am this time ;)



I was so excited to share Melissa's first w/ her. I wanted her to see everything that I get excited about. For as low as I felt running in Boston, I was on top of a mountain in EC.

And apparently I was drunk on a runner's high...at mile 10.5 I bumped into one of the race directors and told her I wanted to be a pacer next year. When we rounded the corner for the last .1 mile, not only did I high-five the other race director I hugged him. Then I let Melissa beat me so I could get a picture of her crossing the finish line...competitive-me doesn't usually let anyone go before me ;)

She did it! I'm SO proud of you Melissa! 


Ryan also did it! I love how his coworkers decorated his car today. And even more awesome - they have been bit by the running bug! Both Melissa & Ryan already have plans to do another half marathon!


Despite an injury that almost side-lined her, Finley's favorite teacher also completed her first half marathon!

Today, more than two weeks ago, I'm reminded of how much FUN the running community is. It really is a great group of people. Whether you're friends or strangers, people are all genuinely excited for one another. 

Congrats again Melissa!!


OK, back to life outside of running...

The final Easter Egg has been found, it was laying in a corner of our dining room. Oddly, I had used the dining room table as my prepping area for all of the kids' activities while we were gone, so I walked past the egg many many many times over a two week period. I can't believe it didn't stink.


Finley is taking a little break from the Magic Treehouse series and is trying out the Diary of a Wimpy Kid. He cannot read all of the words and I'm guessing his comprehension is half, but he's anxious to read each day.

I chaperoned Hadley's 4K field trip to a puppet show.

The Tooty Ta!


After her Allie piece, Hadley's next project was named Josie, I see a pattern developing.


Earthy colors for Earth Day.


Soccer has kicked off! In their first games, Finley scored one goal and Hadley scored three.


Hadley played again, it was a cold game but she did well. She has started to be more aggressive and go after the ball.

Little sister's got the kick!


A few break-aways and Hadley scored another three goals!

A teeny-tiny tea party. 


The Tiger Scouts came over to make Survivor Bracelets - woven rip cords w/ compasses and whistles. (photo credits to Bobbie)

Having taken third place in his pack's Pinewood Derby Race, Finley's car earned a spot in the district-wide Pinewood Derby race. (more pictures stolen from Bobbie)


Scoping out the competition.

They raced on a metal track, it's all very technical.


Bobbie, Nicolas, & Skylar came to cheer on Finley - such nice friends we've made through school and Cub Scouts.

Unfortunately Finley didn't place, but it was still a fun experience for him.


Patrick was gone all week, so I was able to attend my first den meeting (Hadley dances at the same time, so I'm never able to attend). The boys earned new belt slides and Finley was demonstrating some moves from an obstacle course.

I would cringe if a student walked into my classroom w/ all of this bling (distractions), the teacher-in-me couldn't believe I let her go to school like this!  

Simultaneous lunch and errands.


Two weeks until her tap/ballet recital!

Too many patterns in her outfit. And we argue about the sweatshirt everyday.

Some kids play house, she plays Dunkin' Donuts.

The kids ran next door to pick something up. Over an hour later I went to find them...M&M's and Uno, no wonder they didn't come home. Karen & Dave know how to spoil!

Finley continues to love art class. For the second year, he had a piece of art chosen to be in the district-wide art show at our administration building. Last year it was a painting, this year it was a piece of pottery. It's a bird sitting on a nest, you might need to use your imagination a little ;)

Unfortunately his bird fell off the nest, so now his bird acts as a lid. It's my Mother's Day gift and it'll be perfect to hold my rings - he was so proud!



Finley has an awesome-awesome art teacher!


Grandpa made a special lunch delivery to a special boy.


The running bug bite these two too. On our way home from the EC Half Marathon, I dropped them off at the corner to jog home. Finley's been loving the Jogging Club at his school, he runs everyday at recess, over 10 miles so far! Now I'm trying to convince him to run the 2-Mile Buckshot w/ me in fall.





No comments: