Monday, June 27, 2016

Summer is...

Summer is...baking banana bread w/ helpers.

Yes, your lipgloss makes your lips very shiny.

Summer is....time w/ our neighbors. Sue invited us to paint bowls for a Feed My People fundraiser, the kids quickly chose to paint over our swimming plans! Finley continues to LOVE art!

They each painted two bowls that will be part of the Empty Bowls event next March. They were very proud of their work.

Summer is...baseball. The Valley Stars had their first game (outside of last weekend's tourney), we were all surprised to learn that summer baseball games will be KID-pitch. Coincidentally, all of the parents had commented how fun it was to watch baseball this year - plays are being made, runs scored, stealing bases, etc. And then kid-pitch brought everything to screeching halt. We painfully watched kids struggle to throw pitches and kids swing at random balls 5 feet away. Snore (until your own kid pitches, more summer baseball further down).

Summer is...evening tubing w/ Spencer, Easton, Sam & Nicholas.

Nicholas took some major convincing, but he rode a tube for the first time!

Patrick took Sam, Finley & Hadley on a wild ride. I was bouncing around so much on the boat that my pictures suck and it cracks me up. 

Spencer & Easton were in Water Ski Camp all week, Spencer quickly picked up the wakeboard!

Summer is...sleepovers. Finley has wanted someone to sleepover sooooo badly, so we kept Nicholas for a night. It was Nicholas's first sleepover away from home, he never mentioned missing his parents nor was sad at all...until 1:00 in the morning when I woke up and heard someone crying. I found him in the dark hallway very upset. I got him settled down and we watched a cartoon and three hours later he fell back to sleep - lol. In the morning, he was proud of himself, Finley was happy that Nicholas was still there and I was exhausted ;)

Summer is...outdoor swimming lessons. Finley's class learned how to sit-dive and swim back to the wall in the diving pool. I was a little nervous watching him return to the wall, but he did it!

Fearless-Hadley had no worries jumping off the diving board into her instructor's arms, she did it twice!

The last day was cold...

...but both kids passed their session (first time everyone passed on the first try)!  Onto Levels 1 & 4!

Summer is...the dreaded birthday pictures. But they went surprisingly well! For the first time there were no threats, no tears, and no giant bribes. I can't even stand the cuteness of the pictures I took of Laci working w/ the kids, I cannot wait to see her pictures!

Laci asked if we were willing to take melty/messy ice cream pictures, I said YES and found ice cream eating outfits.

Summer is...time w/ cousins. The boys were in town all week and the kids played a ton together, I think Hadley had more fun than Nolan.

Finley pitched his first game and I missed it, so bummed. But Tab obliged and took a bunch of pictures for me. He even struck out a few kids, Patrick said he did really well!

Summer is...messy stuff. I'm kinda over playdoh, but I'm not over her little imagination. So I'll continue to pretend-eat playdoh ice cream cones because you won't be little forever.

Summer is...weekly golfing. Finley cannot wait for Grandpa to be well-enough for golfing.

Summer is...fishing. At a Bob's House fundraiser, Patrick bought a fishing/fish fry afternoon at Danica & Tom's house (Danica is a Bob's House boardmember). Yesterday we cashed it in and it was so.much.fun for the kids. They started off w/ feeding their chickens dried worms.

They found three eggs and got to bring them home for breakfast, even though Hadley really wanted them to become baby chicks.


The kids fished in their private pond and it was the craziest fishing ever - as soon as the worm hit the water, a fish was hooked, no joke. Together they caught over 30 fish in about 45 minutes.


Anderson (Danica & Tom's son) was awesome w/ the kids, he helped them fish, played basketball, and even pulled them around in a tube behind a kayak. 


My next running adventure...

 ...I'm going to be a half-marathon pacer! I'm also going to communicate/network w/ the pacers/marathon staff/runners. I'm nervously-excited about it. I've already googled How to pace a marathon a few times and read some articles - do you do positive splits, negative splits, or keep a steady pace the entire time?! I have a feeling I'll go for the steady pace and probably run the half-marathon course many many many times to practice keeping that same pace going up/down hills and in the flat areas. I really like running w/ new runners on their first half-marathon attempts, so hopefully this will be a fun and positive role for me.

Finally, summer is...spending all of our waking minutes together. And w/ all of the recent storms, even some of our sleeping minutes. I run and she jumps.


No comments: