Tuesday, September 6, 2016

1st Days of School

No more babies, no more toddlers, only school-kids live in this house and I cannot believe it. How did I become the old mom w/ old kids that go to school everyday?!

They should still be teeny.


Five years ago this week my roommate moved out...

...and one year ago I was figuring out the stay-at-home-thing by having Little Sister deliver me drinks.

I swear I just brought them home from the hospital (ahh, the old car bed for the early bird) and now they are taking their first independent steps away from me. As I write this, my ENTIRE HEART is two miles down the road from home.

As summer was winding down, I felt ready for school to start (the arguing between the two is horrible). But over Labor Day weekend, anytime I thought about Hadley actually starting full-day school my chest would tighten. I would love to rewind for a day, or two, or three.

Ready or not, reality set in. Two backpacks, two sets of supplies, two Happy First Day gifts for our new teachers.

The school year started off over three days - Family Learning Day, Finley's first day, and Hadley's first day. Family Learning Day is an open house to meet your teacher and put your supplies away.

We went to 2nd grade first, Finley is in love w/ his teacher. And I totally FB-friended her already (I know, I was "that parent" and I cringed as I hit "request"). Last year she shared our connection (she student taught in my old school) so I used that as an excuse so I didn't feel totally stalkerish - it's a stretch I know. And now I'm rambling about it because I'm sure she rolled her eyes (I would've). But she accepted my request and hugged me today when I was sloppy after dropping Hadley off. So yeah...it'll be fine in a few weeks ;)


Finley is ready and looking so big-kid.

We walked down the hall...

...and went to kindergarten!

Hadley is happy to have Mrs. Conlin just like Finley did. Little Sister was a little too confident while we there, I gave Mrs. Conlin permission to (gently) knock her down a step and help Hadley learn her role in the classroom - kid, not teacher. Oh man, she's adorable and totally her own.

Finley's first full day was Friday.

Hadley & I walked him to the playground. He has this school-thing down, no tears, but he came back for an extra hug/kiss as Mrs. Hrudka started to walk the line into school, I'm thankful he's not too-cool for kisses yet.

While Finley attended his first day of school, I enjoyed my last home-day w/ just her. I picked Target...

...she picked the Children's Museum.

And we came home to bake cookies before Finley got off the bus - because I'm totally rocking the stay-home thing (insert sarcasm).

Our cookies were a GIANT fail - not sure what happened, but cookies didn't.


Hadley's first day of school was rainy - so no outside pictures, no pictures on the playground, no pictures walking into the school :(

Hadley picked out her dress and was very proud of it.

Our timing was perfect, Finley's favorite EA (Mrs. Holman) was coming down the hallway and pulled Hadley under her wing and gave me a hug.

W/ indoor recess, the goodbye wasn't what I envisioned, she quickly hung up her backpack and walked into the classroom. She came back for a hug, a kiss, and a request to have cookies ready for her after school (as I whispered Be a good listener!). I have a chance to redeem myself after last week's failed cookies. But I just can't believe my last baby is gone. This time feels different. When he went, she was still standing next to me. Today, there was no one in the car on the drive home.

So there they are - my kindergartner and 2nd grader ready to take on the world.

Not that I needed more reminders of how big everyone is, but I had to peek back at our other 1st days to see how much they've grown. Finley in  Kindergarten.

Finley in 1st Grade.

 Hadley in 4K.

And even further down Memory Lane, the first days of Kindergarten for me, Auntie & Grandma.

My mom kept our clothes, so we (literally) forced Hadley to try them on last night. You can't tell in the picture, but my mom had (proudly) sewn my name on my shirt.


Yes, Finley we see you - he loves to photobomb.


This whole school year kick-off feels strange, not only do I have two school-agers, but I'm a stay-at-home mom w/ no kids at home. I never would've quit my job, but it certainly is easier not having one. I miss the energy of a new school year. I miss setting up our classroom. I miss catching up w/ staff. I miss exchanging a zillion emails/texts (sometimes simultaneously) w/ Leslie as we made our fall plans. And I miss our friendship. Every week something happens that I want to tell her - I bump into a former student or something reminds me of an inside joke only we shared. And FB's On This Day constantly reminds me just how big Leslie/school were in my life, most weeks there are 1-2 memories from our partnership/school. (Yes, I see the typo below, but obviously I didn't notice it a few years ago when I posted this picture. I was probably delirious from working at school for 55 hours over threeish days)

Even though I miss my school-life, there is fun to be found w/ a full time home-life. Last week I connected w/ the Kindergarten team over lunch. Tomorrow I get to have a toddler for the day. On Thursday I'm having coffee w/ two special EA's. Next Wednesday I'm going on a field trip w/ Finley. And on Thursday I'm going to Puerto Rico! And right now I've got coffee, my blog, cookie-baking, and HGTV keeping me busy.


I'm also very good at online shopping. The UPS guy probably wonders what I'm up to, 11 packages within 24 hours w/ more scheduled to arrive today. Nice work ;)

Oh my babies. I love watching you grow, but I hope you always need me.









No comments: