I'm thankful NW's asks for parents to help out - w/ both kids in school it makes volunteering easier and more fun. First up was Picture Day!
The next day I went to Beaver Creek w/ the 2nd graders!
My friend teaches at Beaver Creek and he sent me a message that he'd stumbled upon some litter when he was hiking the trails...hmmmm.
Because the next day, I was off on an adventure! An adventure that started at 4 a.m.
Grandpa waved good-bye and probably ran home to enjoy an empty house.
Apparently we were the ONLY people that needed to claim baggage in Chicago, our three suitcases were the only ones that circled the carousel.
We had a painfully long layover in Chicago, so it was mimosas and a bloody mary for breakfast.
But it was the worth the wait. Nearly 13 hours after we left home, we had this view...PUERTO RICO!
We quickly changed our clothes...
...and headed out to celebrate Auntie Shawna's 40th birthday!
We stayed in Old San Juan. Our hotel was a convent turned into a boutique hotel - this was certainly a far-stretch from our normal "beachy resort", but for this trip it was absolutely perfect.It was open in the middle and very old-world...
...the view from our room.
Old San Juan is full of historical buildings, it was a really pretty location to visit.
Within walking distance from our hotel, was Castillo San Felipe del Morro a 16th century citadel designed to protect the San Juan Bay from enemy attackers.
Our hotel had a sister resort on the beach that we were able to visit for a day. For everything that was uniquely old in Old San Juan and El Convento, La Concha was the complete opposite - it was like we stepped into the heart of Miami Beach, it was very modern and very fancy.
We took a tour of the Barcardi Distillery, I had no idea it was still a family-run company nor that it was in Puerto Rico.
The tour was interesting, but the best part was the mixology class - drink-making and sampling! We each had a station and we learned to make three drinks - Lucha Libre, Mojito, Daiquiri.
We may or may not have caught a buzz.
Outside of sight-seeing, we had fun drinks and ate REALLY delicious local cuisine at little hole-in-the-wall restaurants.
Most of all, it was fun to celebrate Shawna w/ family and her close friends. Thank you for including us in your birthday trip!
...and don't feel bad for Patrick, I saw this picture on FB. I don't think he missed me at all (eyeroll).
I kinda know what the kids were up to while I was gone (school, two soccer games, soccer pictures, flag football, birthday party, Sunday school, gymnastics, two babysitters), and I kinda don't because I keep hearing stories. But I certainly wouldn't know from the pictures - Patrick sent me two the entire time I was gone, both from Connor & Shaelyn's rollerskating birthday.
Snapchat fun...an adorable piece of bread...
...and Grandpa!
Hadley as a puppy...
...and as a scary possessed Chucky-like doll.
Finley has graduated from Happy Meals to Mighty Kids Meals - basically a happy meal that's a little bigger. Not only does that make him seem old...but he's starting to need deodorant (insert crying-disbelief emoji)! After flag football last week, Patrick called me in Puerto Rico to tell me Finley had BO. I said no way, he needs a bath (because I was confident personal hygiene wasn't as well monitored w/ me gone). I brought him to his game this week, no kidding Finley smelled after the game. Not a "sweaty kid smell" but a "big kid BO smell". Ugh. Of course I immediately googled it - how can it be normal for an EIGHT year old to smell?!!? Dr. Google assured me it can be normal for 8-10 year olds to need deodorant as they enter pre-puberty - what the what?! My mother-heart can't even go there. And the next day I found myself in the deodorant aisle looking for "kids deodorant" and sure enough, they make that shit. Thankfully it seems to be exclusive to Flag Football games, but my kid won't be the stinky kid :(
The sweaty kid in action! Finley is on the Bears this year and they won their first game! The pictures are a little weird, I was taking them through glass.
These two pictures made me laugh. Falling to the right...
...falling to the left. Finley had a blast and played really well.
Twinning w/ her best friend - pink hoodies, crazy leggings, and the same shoes.
Hadley loved spending the day w/ Allie!
The kids & I participated in my old school's glow-in-the-dark River Run. It was a fun evening w/ friends and bumping into old students.
Finley was funny, he'd run super-fast and get ahead of us, then walk which allowed us to catch up. Whenever we caught up, he'd sprint ahead. But Little Sister jogged the entire two miles. I was so proud of her! Towards the end she was getting tired, but I told her we don't walk when we can see the finish line. And she didn't!
After all that hard work, she immediately passed out on the couch holding her glowsticks.
We went bowling and out for pizza to celebrate Patrick's birthday.
This kid got a couple strikes!
She had one too!
4/5 kids were happy :)
Thanks neighbors for celebrating w/ us!
Another girly playdate - this time w/ Tenley from dance class. Tenley's mom and I graduated from high school together and they are living near us while they are building a new home. After Hadley stopped bossing her around (ugh), they had a fun afternoon together.
Two lucky boys went to GB to watch the Packers WIN! Uncle Ryan, Spencer, Patrick & Finley had a great day together and left a whole bunch of us at home jealous!
There's another trip coming up this weekend, Patrick & I are flying to Chicago for his cousin's wedding! And I cannot believe it'll be October already.

































































































No comments:
Post a Comment