Monday, May 15, 2017

ECM, Science Fair & Sleepover

We've done a lot this week! I'm totally exhausted because 5 kids over the weekend kinda kicked my butt. It was 48 hours of someone constantly needing/wanting something, there were a few times I was waiting for Ashton Kutcher to pop out and tell me I'd been Punk'd. But I'd totally do it again, we enjoyed having them here.

Last weekend was the EC Marathon Weekend, it officially kicked off w/ the Cheri Uelmen Fantasically Fun Kid's Run! This year, I worked behind the scenes w/ the set-up of the Kid's Run. And later in the day, our 5 Kids showed up to run the one-mile obstacle course.

They were off!

Sunday morning, I arrived in the park at 6:30 to meet up w/ the full marathon pacers. This is an incredible group of athletes w/ thousands and thousands and thousands of miles run among them. They have all paced many runs and were very helpful sharing tips w/ me as my anxiety was going strong.

A little later I met up w/ the half marathon pacers - see the other girl? To date, she had run 111 marathons and ultra marathons, including pacing one the day before. The 1:45 guy had volunteered that morning to pace - the original pacer had fallen ill, so he filled in w/ no preparation...well technically, he was doing a 20 mile run this day and decided he could use the half as the first 13 of it. For real, I was soooo out of my league!

The closer we got to gun-time, the calmer I felt. I knew I could run 13.1 in two hours, my worry lied w/in keeping a consistent pace the entire time - and also building a small cushion for the hills on the course. To run a 2:00 half marathon, the pace is 2:09, but instinct told me to run close to 9:00 min/miles.

W/ about 10 minutes to go, I found my spot to meet/greet anyone that wanted to start off w/ me. I met a young guy and his mom, as I expressed my nerves as a first-timer, the son shared he'd paced many marathons and was just out to run w/ his mom - hello, run with ME too! The mom shared she wanted to be about 2:00 - perfect!

W/ 30 seconds to go, someone near me questioned why the 2:15 pacer was ahead of me - what?! Good question! She should've been between me and the 2:30 that I could see near the back of the pack. So I totally ditched my group as I tried to squeeze up closer to 2:15 (in hindsight, I should've stayed where I was, but ugh this whole thing was a learning experience and I panicked). The race started and there I was, still stuck in the crowd behind 2:15. Of the 100's of questions/scenarios I'd asked the experts about - this wasn't one of them! I didn't know if I should pass her up or stay where I was. I could still run a 2:00 and her a 2:15 even if she was in front of me, my clock didn't start until I passed the starting mat - but that's too much math/confusion, so I decided to slowly get in front of her.

Something else I hadn't really thought of - all the bottlenecks in the beginning. My first mile was a 9:59, then I ran a 9:19, which left me overall "behind" myself.

So for the next few miles, I slowly took back those 30 seconds and a little more to build a cushion. I'm easy to spot, look for my sign.

Always happy to see my kids, they found me an impressive NINE times! Patrick has obviously figured out how to spectate this course well.

W/ Heidi & Ryan out running too, I had all 5 Kids to get high-fives from.

Once I took back my time I should've stopped w/ a 30-second cushion. Unfortunately I got caught up bumping into friends and a few times I noticed my mile splits were a little below 9:00. W/ a little under two miles to go, I was 3 MINUTES ahead of myself 😕

Waiting patiently (nor not).

My favorite part of my hometown race is being familiar w/ everything around me - my dad helped w/ the planning of that new building in the back.

I did slow myself, but it wasn't enough. I was approaching the last half mile w/ 7 minutes to get there - which is essentially a walking pace. I couldn't get myself to actually walk, but I slowed to a shuffle up the final hill and finished at 1:58:04.

Here's what boggles me about pacing - I was running 13.1 miles w/ a goal to cross a line within a 15 second window (a perfect pacer finishes within 15 seconds of their goal time). So, I was 1 min 56 seconds too fast. In the big picture, that sounds pretty damn close, but when I looked up the experienced pacers' finishing times - yup, they all (except one other) nailed it within 10ish seconds - impressive. And yes, that stick is awkward to run with, my forearm was tired when I finished.


My "bridgeface" pictures - a hilarious album put together by the university of struggling faces w/ about 2 miles to go.

Another course sponsor is the "Refuel With Chocolate Milk" campaign, they also had a photographer on the course - I look like I'm having fun, and I was 😊

Heidi, Sheri, Kristi & Amber all tackled the Marathon Relay, each running a leg of the 26.2 mile course. Thankfully they all had fun! I might've encouraged them to sign up after we'd been eating jello shots in Hayward 😛

I heard Ryan's name on the PA that he was approaching the finish line, I waited w/ my phone out to take a picture. I waited and waited and started to get worried - had he fallen, was he walking, why hadn't he passed me yet?! I never saw him finish...but apparently I did, because that's me in the pink circle and he had clearly run past me, Amy too!

As always, being done w/ them is the best part. I'm so thankful to the other pacers for sharing tips w/ me, I really learned a lot of strategies and things to consider. I would love to try this again. Fortunately, I don't think I got fired, I received an email asking me if I'm interested in pacing again next year...yes!

After a very quick shower, I was off to a church meeting to sit and hydrate.

I received a sweet note from Elle - I am the best, I am smart, and I am the best runner she has ever known 😍

The Science Fair finally happened! It's been many months of planning, but my little scientist made it completely worth it. They had a Dress Like a Scientist Day, and I was thankful Finley & Nolan were Mad Scientists for Halloween two years ago, we were able to resuse their costumes.

The Science Fair theme was Science Rocks, so a couple months ago we chose Eggshell Geodes for Finley's experiment. We did a test-run in March and then completed the experiment again so he'd have fresh geodes to share. To grow a geode, you clean out an eggshell and fill it w/ a mixture of salt/hot water and then wait. As the water evaporates the sodium from the salt grows into crystal-like formations. For his experiment, we tested various salts to see which grew the best/most crystals.

For part of his display, Finley & Patrick cracked rocks to discover real geodes inside.

All set!

His final geodes - they were very sparkly in person.

He was lucky to have special guests come to the Science Fair.

We had about 100 students participate in the Science Fair (this isn't all 100 of them 😉)


During the fair, Finley's job was to explain his experiment and answer questions. We practiced and when I eavesdropped, I heard him doing a great job.

There were judges that walked around and talked to each Scientist...

...we had recruited two special judges, Grandma Dyanne & Grandma Lynn since they are retired teachers from his school. THANK YOU for supporting our Science Fair!

Maybe Finley will grow up and have a really cool scientist job - his teacher told him that Saturn was going to be in view on Thursday night...at 11:45 p.m. he woke up to go outside and we totally saw it.

More to life than running and science...like play-doh. We have all the play-doh 😉


My kids are gamers, thankfully it's real games and not always the electronic-kind.

This little girl will soon be six, I have loved coming into her classroom 1-2 times/week to help. And bonus when she wears a real outfit.

Hadley really wants a puppy for her birthday, that's not happening, so I hope she likes her new Hatchimal Penguin 😜

Hadley woke up really early for her (6ish), I usually wake her at 8. She came downstairs and played "house" the entire time I ran, she even vacuumed the exercise room.

Sports are our lives these days. I like that their games don't usually overlap, but it also means every night someone is playing something.

Hadley was sooooo into the dirt on Wednesday night.

...she is literally tossing dirt in the air...

...the face I got when I yelled, Stop playing in the dirt!

On base and still playing in the dirt. 


She even shoved some in her pockets. 


Fortunately when the plays come to her, she does her job. 

Finley's team is 3-0, a waaaaayyy better start than last year. I'm not sure we ever won last spring (I know we didn't in the summer), it's so much more fun to play when you have a fighting chance and there is some scoring.

As we were leaving for the ballpark, Finley ran across the street to ask Larry & Sue to come. It was so last minute and yet they showed up - we have great neighbors. 

For the past year, Heidi (and maybe Ryan a little too) have been planning and designing their new home. Moving weekend finally arrived - I didn't get to help move stuff, I got to keep the boys.
I patted myself on the back when 5 kids were finally asleep.  

I patted myself on the back again when I ran, showered, got 5 kids dressed, got 5 kids fed breakfast, got 5 kids to brush their teeth and got out of the house w/ 2 kids by 8:15 a.m. on Saturday morning. Nolan was the Lucky Duck to come w/ me to Hadley's soccer game.

Hadley literally changed clothes in the car, we zoomed across town and were just a few minutes late to her t-ball game. Fortunately for Easton & Nolan, her team was short a few players and they got to step in. 

Three cousins in a row on the field...

...and Team Too Big ;)


Having 5 Kids was really busy! Most of my weeknd was spent feeding kids...well not the actual feeding part, that only took about 6 minutes. But the food prep and clean up. no joke every time I wiped down the counter and swept, someone literally would say I'm hungry and the entire process started again.

The busy-ness was never ending, once I saw Easton standing on top of the swing set (cringe) and then Nolan ran up bloody (he gets spontaneous nose bleeds).


Popsicles and relaxing.

A giant living room fort.

Grandpa was one of the key players in a GIANT new project in our community, they are building a new Fine Arts Center. This is a place that will be huge for our community's future in performing arts and is located downtown in a booming area of revitalization. We visited the job site for a first hand look as the project has finally started.

It was time to take the boys home - they were soooooo incredibly anxious and excited to see their new house! It is really nice and really beautiful!

The kids quickly found their favorite spot - the sports court. How fun to have this IN your house?! No surprise that Finley cried when it was time to leave.

Somewhere in the middle of the weekend, a 6th kid showed up in the mailbox...Flat Easton!

I don't lead a super exciting life, but I'm really excited to drag Flat Easton around w/ me for the next 10 days to help w/ Easton's class project.

Mother's Day started off w/ my favorite kind of gifts, kid-made. Both kids were very excited to share the gifts they'd made at school.

From Hadley...My Mom's Name is: Hethr, She is 29 Years Old, She has blue Eyes, She has bond Hair, Her Favorite Food is salid, I Love My Mom Because She is the bes mom. I love my mom forevr.

From Finley...My Mom is 39 Years Old, She Likes to run, The Best Thing She Cooks is braneys (brownies)Her Favorite Food is pancaks, Her Favorite Thing to do to Relax is wache TV, We Like to do scises (science) Together, She is Really Good at running, As You Can See, My Mom is Special Because she a good runer.

My mom is the best because...runs. (I love that I'm drawn on a scooter because that has seriously never happened 😉)

Together, my mom and I like to...the scince far.

My best job is them. I love you to pieces Finley & Hadley.



No comments: