Sunday, March 9, 2008

Week 19 – Movement…I think!?

This week started off with a flutter – is that baby? I hope so! Everyone knows I’ve been “patiently” waiting to feel Baby Sullivan move. I THINK I felt movement on Saturday (the 8th)…I was sitting and felt something below my belly button. It’s hard to describe, but almost like a tapping, flicking or muscle spasam. It continued for about a minute and then it was gone…I hope it returns soon!

My BIG day came and went, it was complete with signs at home and school announcing to everyone I’d made it into my (very early) 30’s. In the words of a kindergartner still learning to count, I’m really only “twenty-ten” – I can handle that!

On Thursday, we had a delicious birthday dinner at my parents; my sister drove from Hudson, my Aunt Judy was visiting from AZ, and my wonderful Grandma came along with three of her sisters. I had a BIG dinner complete with cake, was home by 7:15 and in bed by 8:30…a pregnant woman’s dream night. My birthday parties have certainly changed over the past 10 years!

This week Dr. Seuss’s birthday was celebrated by young children all over the country. Our kindergarten celebration included a visit from The Cat in the Hat and a yummy snack of Green Eggs and Ham (jealous?!). The Baby Fairy remembered this special birthday and left Baby Sullivan a Dr. Seuss bib.
Baby Sullivan is a mango this week, weighing between 7.5-8 ounces. Baby is making and expressing urine into the amniotic sac (not sure where it goes from there, seems baby would be floating in it?!). Baby’s scalp is sprouting hair and this is a crucial time for sensory development; the brain is designating specialized areas for sight, hearing, smell, touch and taste.

As I grow, I’ve decided that maternity pants are the way to go…they’re kind of like dressy pj pants – no zippers, no buttons and for a confidence boost I'm back into my prepregnancy size (I’d gone up two sizes in regular pants). My belly seemed to pop last Monday night (can it really pop overnight?), my kids at school have noticed and I had my first comment from a stranger at the gym. Of course my gym attire doesn’t leave much to the imagination as my gut is starting to protrude between my shorts and tanks – I’m sure it’s a beautiful sight at 5 a.m. Generally I hide on a treadmill in the back corner, figuring no one wants to see the Baby Bump bounce as I run along…yes, still running for now, although a bit slower.
Week 19 - Baby Mango

3 comments:

Kristi, Dan & Liam said...

Movement?! Oh my gosh, how exciting! I bet it seems a bit more real when you can actually start to feel things like that. I'm a huge fan of the 20 plus 10 idea...I think I may steal that. ;)

Faith said...

You look SO great! You have popped, I remember feeling the same thing, and wondering if I was imagining it! It's so exciting to feel baby moving, made it feel more real for me. Hope to see you soon!

Heidi said...

We felt the movement around the same time. When you have your ultrasound and you see the baby moving and then feel it at the same time helps confirm that what you are feeling is the baby! I'm so excited that you are almost half way!!!