Sunday, December 6, 2009

First Ear Infection

Finley continued to be 'not himself' this week, so I decided to run him in - he has his first ear infection! We've been lucky, Finley just turned 17 months (this week) and is on his first antibiotic. Dr. Myhre was off, so we saw Dr. Plewa, he was very nice but Finley wasn't sure of him. Finley weighed 23lb 1oz; he's lost weight since his 12 month appointment, must be all that running around.

I've finally started to clean for our up-coming holiday party (next Saturday!). Finley was a good helper at first...

...but got mad when I wouldn't let him suck on the Windex bottle - ammonia can't be good for a kid?!
We had our last Friday Night Fish at Wild Ridge, they are closing for the season. I will miss going there - there's space to run around, we know many other patrons (so we aren't bugging them), they will make grilled cheese (not on the menu), and the servers are always patient with us!

Bedtime started off normal on Friday night; Finley got his 1st dose of amoxicillian and numbing ear drops - Mommy was looking forward to a full night's sleep (it's been awhile), little did I know that was not going to happen. We're not sure, but we think Finley experienced a "night terror", it was horrible. About 2 hours after he went down, Finley started screaming, thrashing around, babbling angrily, and flailing his arms. When we held him, he literally tried to crawl up our body, push away, arch backwards - it was like wrestling. We set him down and he started running down the hall. It was very spooky. Finley's eyes were open, but he didn't appear to be awake - he just continued to cry, scream and thrash. This continued for ONE FULL HOUR, eventually he started to 'come down', he got cuddly and went back to sleep in my arms. Needless to say on Saturday, I was online reading about night terrors; everything I read seemed to match what we witnessed. A night terror is different from a nightmare - you can wake someone from a nightmare, but not from a night terror. During a night terror the child is asleep and will not recall the event the next day, therefore it's more alarming for the witnesses. During a night terror, parents should keep the child safe (so they don't thrash into something hard), try to cuddle/calm him and can only wait it out. Terrors are more prominent in boys and are usually outgrown...I'm hoping this was a one-time deal for us. If it happens again I'll be calling Dr. Myhre to confirm my online diagnosis.

Saturday, Finley and I went with Grandpa, Grandma & Spencer to the Blugold Women's Basketball game.
Uncle Ryan was out of town, so Grandma and I dressed the boys alike, they needed to wear their blue and gold! The boys did well, we had plenty of space in the bleachers and brought along lots of treats.
After the game, we came home for pizza with Marc, Duncan and Riley. Stephanie (our babysitter) was out of town with Mya for a girl's weekend, so Marc and the boys came over to help Patrick. The four boys had fun running around the basement - I was exhausted just listening and watching them.
Grandpa & Grandma bought me a piano when I was younger and have passed it on to us. Finley loves it! It needs to be dusted and tuned, then he'll be good to go!

How is the basement coming along? We've got 6 (gulp) days until the holiday party; my blood pressure has risen and I imagine it'll stay high until I have my first captain-diet after the guests arrive. It's coming along, BUT there's still sooooooo much to do. We've got carpet now, I started dusting upstairs this week and I officially closed two doors (meaning the room is done, no one is allowed inside).

Here are a few pictures of the work-in-progress...

This was taken from the stairs coming down...above the fireplace will be our Black Friday TV for the couch area...back by the tree, there are three hanging lights (the lower ones) which will be above the pool table...the arch (with the tree for now) will be a sitting area/game table (when we get more furniture)...and way in the back is our stone bar.

The area by the piano will be Finley's play area, it extends past the door on the right (a bathroom) and leads to a hallway; down the hallway is a (future) exercise room, storage closet...
...and a bedroom...

...that's where Finley and Patrick were working today.

Finley has managed to find every single cupboard/drawer that does not have a safety latch on it. I've been asking Patrick for WEEKS to install more; thanks to Grandpa, Finley's access was further limited this afternoon. He was not happy when he went to pull out the drawer, so instead he destroyed the pantry while giving me dirty looks.

I am so anxious for the mess to be gone; I'd love to enjoy the holiday season and right now, I'm not - it feels like a major pain in my butt. I look forward to enjoying our new family room and more space for our ever-growing collection of toys. It's crunch-time, one week from now it'll be behind us...will we make it? Check back next Sunday to find out if Patrick is still alive or not ;)

Did you notice the new Baby Blog We Follow on the right? We send a huge CONGRATULATIONS to Melissa, Dave and Paisley - they are expecting their first baby in late June! We can't wait for playdates!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pete had a handful of what we can only assume were night terrors too. Sounded very similar to Finley's. Fortunately it was just those few times and it hasn't happened in months now. So strange though!