Sunday, December 19, 2010

Cookies!

Finley started off the week sick.  Grandma was busy, Patrick couldn't stay home, so at 6:00 Monday morning I drove to school to prepare for a sub.  It took me 1.5 hours to prepare for 7.5 hours...no wonder teachers would rather show up at work sick, it's easier!   With a little ibuprofen, Finley was so "himself" that I started to feel guilty for being home with him.  Feeling bad for my sick boy, I showed him an alphabet game online...huge mistake, it's now "my puter".

By lunchtime it was obvious staying home was the right choice; luckily Finley woke up fever-free on Tuesday and we were back to life.


It was Duncan's birthday!  Finley missed the McDonald's celebration on Monday, but brought a special gift for the birthday boy on Tuesday.


Auntie, Spencer & Easton came to visit Santa - they love Santa!  We tried squeezing Finley in for a group picture, had I known we were going to see Santa again, I would've picked a different outfit.


Finley's job was to hold Easton's hand; no cry-face, but still not a perfect Santa picture.  I have myself convinced next year will be the one, I'm sure it'll be much easier with two!

After Santa, we played on the toys, even Easton is part of the action now!

Finley & Spencer had a BLAST splashing in the tub - Easton wanted out (who wouldn't with these two) and showed Grandma & I how he can let go and stand alone!


On Friday, we had a play date with Jill, Gavin & Maddie, Auntie, Spencer & Easton at the Giggle Factory - we missed Kristi & Liam!  We hadn't been to the Giggle Factory since last winter (an indoor climbing park) and Finley was much quicker going up this time - although I couldn't convince him to go down the slide.


Back at Auntie's, Finley showed us his best "Ho, Ho Ho!"


We started a new tradition - baking and decorating cookies together. Grandma baked the cookies ahead of time and brought along all the supplies, all we needed to do was decorate.


Decorating is OK, but tasting is FUN!!  Finley was h.i.l.a.r.i.o.u.s.  He started off by pinching some sprinkles and tasting them...next we caught him trying to lick/eat the top of the sprinkles container.  I thought Grandma & I were going to wet our pants!  It was funniest because he was obviously trying to hide what he was doing - what a sneak!

We only decorated half the cookies (Grandma made a lot), we left those with Spencer and brought home the others to decorate this week.  A few of our masterpieces! 

Whenever we roadtrip for a playdate, Finley's naptime gets sabotaged...he slept a total of 25 minutes on Friday.  An overtired boy =/= a ton of fun.

Saturday morning we decorated cookies for Melissa & Elle; we were excited to catch up over our favorite Mexican lunch. 

I love getting the mail in December, the mailbox is always full with holiday greetings!  Finley got a special Christmas package from Aunt Aryn on Saturday.  I used a pair of scissors to cut open the box, then Monkey-See Monkey-Do wanted to use scissors to cut the wrapping paper...it reminded me of Great Grandpa Market and his Swiss Army knife.

Aunt Aryn sent an adorable big-wheel t-shirt that was made in Austin, TX (where she lives).  Finley is not crying over the t-shirt, he wanted a treat before breakfast - I'm really mean like that.

Baby Update...I'm 15 weeks and our apple-sized Baby now responds to light.  I'm patiently waiting to confirm movement, I've had a few "was that it?" moments, but it's over so quickly I'm left debating if I imagined it or not.  I've ironed a few pairs of maternity pants for the day nothing fits; this weekend I wore a size bigger jeans - ahhh, so much better.  Overall I can't really complain (although I do), I'm experiencing a few minor (normal) discomforts.  I'm still tired, but I happily enjoy my coffee each day and have regained a taste for holiday treats...which might lead me to the maternity pants faster than the Baby!


Although he doesn't know it, this is a big week for Finley, it's his last week at Stephanie's house.  Last summer we made the bittersweet decision that Finley would benefit from a setting that offers social opportunities with same-aged peers and structured learning experiences.  Stephanie has been ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for our family and Finley - she's exactly what we wanted for our baby.  Stephanie welcomed Finley into her home each day, she rocked him, she snuggled him, she treated him like her own. 

Our baby is now a toddler with different needs; on January 3rd, Finley will start at Brighter Beginning's Early Learning Center.  He'll be in a classroom for 2.5-3 year olds, I'm excited but nervous - what if he hates it?  What if he doesn't follow directions?  What if it doesn't work out?  What if he won't lay down to nap (he's still in a crib at home)?  We won't know until we try it and I'm hoping that Finley LOVES it - he'll make new friends, listen to stories, sing songs, play (they have a huge outdoor area), make art projects (I can't wait until he brings his first one home) and I'm hoping peer pressure will encourage potty training :) 

With tears (now and I'm sure on Wednesday afternoon), I thank Stephanie.  I thank her for being another mom to my favorite little boy.  Finley loves Stephanie - I can see it when he reaches for her and when she kisses him good-bye.  I remember dropping Finley off the day I returned to work thinking, "I just left my life with a stranger."  Two years later, Stephanie is anything but a stranger, she holds a very special place in this mom's heart.

No comments: