Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year!

We had a full and busy week of winter break!  Finley started the week with the stomach flu, how horrible for someone that doesn't know what's happening and can't tell you it's coming.  Fortunately it was over in 24 hours, but not without puke in my hair - gross!

On Tuesday, Finley had orientation at his new school!  He's excited for "my school" not to be confused with "mom's school".  We met his teachers, dropped off his supplies, went over policies/procedures and played.  Finley immediately walked away from us and began playing in the house area, sat at a small table and checked out other toys.  We'll see how Monday goes!  I hope the other kids play with him - I want my baby to have friends!  I can't wait to pick him up to hear how his first day went.

We visited the Children's Museum!  We met up with Auntie, Spencer, Easton, & Tab - she was a huge help!  We also saw Kate, Pete & Nora, they were visiting Nana Maureen for the holidays.

Finley received Christmas packages from Papa Wally, Aunt Patrice and Uncle Kevin.  Immediately upon opening the gifts, Finley picked them up, ran down the hall and came back empty-handed.  He'd put his gifts away in his big boy room!  He took his pillow off his bed and put his new toddler-sized firetruck pillow in it's place...   


....he took his ornament out of the box and put it in the nightstand drawer - how perfect to put his firetruck gifts in his firetruck bedroom!  Finley IS my kid!


Baby Update...I had my 17-week appointment; this was a simple appointment to check my vitals, growth and answer questions.  Our onion-sized Baby's heartbeat was quickly detected and strong at 152.  I had my first belly-measurement taken, I measured a week small at 16 cm (with Finley I always measured 1-2 weeks small).  I've felt a few braxton hicks contractions, Dr. Ezenagu isn't worried since they are sporadic and painless.  Next week I will start weekly injections of 17P progesterone, a hormone that can prevent preterm labor.  I've had no signs/symptoms of preterm labor, this is precautionary since I delivered a preemie.  Side effects include additional fatigue (great!) and soreness/pain at the injection site.  The hormone-shot is thick like crisco oil and requires a bigger needle, it'll be injected into my bum on alternating sides, I may be sore for 1-2 days after.  I will make weekly "injection appointments" with the nursing staff starting at week 18 (shots had to be ordered from Mayo in Rochester), and I will discontinue the injections at week 36 when I'm considered in the "safe zone". 


Other Baby news...we've got child care!  Stephanie will be an empty-nester next year (Duncan starts K), so we needed to find another perfect "mom" to watch Baby.  A colleague connected me with a parent (Amy) from school; coincidentally, I taught all three of her children.  Patrick & I met with Amy on Monday and we all agreed that it is a good match.  She watches a few other part-time children and my schedule fits into hers.  The location is perfect, I can see Amy's house from our playground!  This is a huge relief for me!


 We hosted a family-friendly New Year's Eve party.  The threatening weather kept some people at home and provided stories from the brave travelers.  It was a little busy, there were 9 kids ages three and under...and next year will be even busier with (at least) three more!


At 11:00 p.m. we turned on Toy Story 3, Finley could hardly keep his eyes open.


Just because Finley stayed up until 11:30, doesn't mean he slept in...in the morning Gavin, Irelyn & Finley ate cinnamon rolls for breakfast.


We went to Scotty & Becky's house for a Rose Bowl party!  Grandpa & Grandma were in Pasadena for the game, according to Grandpa, "It was a tough loss, but there's a reason they call the Rose Bowl the granddaddy of them all.  The experience was awesome."  Despite the loss, we had fun watching the game and eating yummy football food. 





It's hard to ignore how quickly time passes when my favorite little boy is getting bigger and becoming more independent each day.  I am thankful for a healthy and happy 2010, here's a quick look back at a highlight from each month...


Easton Ryan!

Death Bullet!

Little Leprechaun!

Govin's Farm!

Ballpark Hot Dogs!


Blue Angels!


Hayward!


 Two Years Old!


Swimming Lessons & Fountains!


Choo-Choo Ride!


Gymnastics!


Trick-or-Treating!


Big Brother in 2011!


Holiday Fun!


2011 will be an exciting year with Baby #2 joining us in June; shortly after, our family will grow  when Auntie & family welcome a new baby in July.  We've got a few friend-babies on the way too!  A new announcement was made on New Year's Eve, but I'm going to let it spread the old-fashioned way for now.  Bring on the new year and new babies!

Happy Birthday Grandma!

No comments: