Sunday, April 19, 2015

Signs of Spring

Spring is officially here! Warmer weather, spring sports, an upcoming dance recital, we're signing up for summer activities, and the driveway is a constant clutter of bikes and scooters. We're super-duper busy and as the calendar quickly fills, I can almost see summer vacation.

I started planning Finley's birthday party. That's more a sign of summer than spring, but I want to have his party before school lets out, so spring planning it is. The day he turned 6 years + 1 day old, he started requesting a bunch of different parties. Whatever party he attends, it's what he wants. We agreed on the new Sport Warehouse and I couldn't be more excited about it. It sounds perfect - we show up, they organize the games, they even organize the gift opening...all a giant yes for this mom! It was a done-deal for Finley when they let him pick out a free t-shirt.

Hadley's school had a spring art and book fair - the clover (it looks like a flower to me, but it was named "The Clover" or something like that) was the piece she chose for the display.

Another favorite, the ice cream sundae party at the book fair - she loved it. And I loved time with just her, at her school, doing her thing.

Light-up toothbrushes + shower with the lights off = two birds, one stone.

I worked a full week and I hardly saw these kids. Grandma took them out for breakfast before dropping Finley off at school.

Grandma offered to buy Finley prescription sports glasses. Or goggles? Oh jeez, I hope I can take him seriously while he wears them. He ordered blue, they should be here next week.

Grandma also took Hadley to her dance pictures. I'm bummed I missed it and can't wait to see them.


Sister's first dance recital will be May 30th. I received a NINE PAGE document on the instructions for dance recital weekend - I hope I don't fail this!

Between soccer, coach-pitch, church, and LEAP, Finley is a busy kid. The nights with overlapping activities are really fun (heavy sarcasm). This night overlapped coach-pitch and soccer, 45 minutes of one and 60 minutes of the other.

Our district hosts an annual Spring Art Show in our administration building. Finley's art teacher selected one of his pieces for his school's collection. There was a small reception for families to see their child's work. He was incredibly excited about it. I am incredibly proud of him.

A spring tradition for me - the Puddle Jump 5K. It's a tradition that Finley & Hadley are now part of too.

Grandpa and the kids came to cheer me on!

My favorite high-fivers!

I'm not sure what it is about this run, but I always dry heave on my way in. I don't run many 5K's and since it's such a short run maybe it's because I'm going faster?! Not sure, but I always start in the exact same spot. Today I ran 10 miles before the 5K, totaling 13.1 when I finished. Considering my long warm-up, I still did OK clocking about 21:30ish.

While I ran, the kids posed for pictures.

The kid's 1/4 mile run - Hadley's first real race!

Pre-race jitters.

Finley took off!

Stalkerazzi running and snapping pictures.

Hadley insisted we hold hands ;)

I quickly lost sight of Finley, but Grandpa caught him in action.

Finley says he had to jog some of it (vs running), and I'm certain I saw him walking once, but he finished strong. 

When we neared the finish line, I insisted we let go of hands and Sister did her thing with a giant smile while I cheered like a crazy-person. She ran the whole race!

Happy finishers!

Spring weather and tree climbing.

Biking over bubble wrap.

Someone needs to invent a three-foot chalk holder. Race tracks are fun, but painful to draw over the entire driveway, which is exactly what they wanted me to do.

Roller skating is more like roller walking. He isn't smooth at all. I hold my breath and await a wipe out.

Easton learned how to call via FaceTime from his iPad. He called during quiet time, he wanted to show me the magnets on his board - an A for Auntie and an H for Heather. He even told me he loved me - I could eat him, he's such a sweetie (even when he hates me).


One of my favorite signs of spring...children passed out by 8 after a full day of old-fashioned outside playing.


No comments: