Monday, January 4, 2016

A Lot of Hosting

There's a hilarious viral video of a man (dressed as a woman) who is getting his/her house ready for company. He's screaming to everyone to not touch a thing, to fluff pillows, to make the house look like no one lives there. I totally relate. We hosted a lot this week and I kinda feel like I've been the crazy man/woman in the video...Company is Coming, if you have 2.5 minutes, watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBwELzvnrQg

We finally got substantial snow! It was snowing those big snowglobe-like snowflakes and Finley was catching them on his tongue.

Working out while she works...because People are coming over!

Grandpa & Grandma gave Finley downhill skis for Christmas! They aren't actually his-his, but they're his until April 15th or the downhill season ends. Since kids grow so quickly, it doesn't make sense to buy new, so we're doing a yearly rental on them. Now we need to go! I haven't been since college, but I'm thinking there's no way around skipping out again this year.

We hosted two playdates and there was a lot of Pie Face...first up was Nicholas. I think it's the ears on the game that make these pictures so funny.

...then Shaelyn & Connor. Connor LOVED it.

Shaelyn's anticipation was hilarious...she sat like this for a full minute before she turned the handle.

Finley is always up for it...

...and finally Hadley tried it out.

We have newish neighbors that have a 4-year old boy (Connor) that attends the same 4K as Hadley and a first grade girl (Shaelyn) that attends NW w/ Finley - perfect! We did a playdate swap, they played at our house for a couple hours (Pie Face!), then went to their house for a couple hours (Just Dancing!)

We hosted our family-friendly New Years Eve gathering. What started off as four families getting together, turned into 16 adults with 14 kids, followed by another 13 people showing up at 11:00 p.m. It was fun and busy!

Too many kiddie cocktails = passed out.

The second half of the party was too much for these two.

While I got the house ready for our next event, Finley, Patrick & Grandpa attended the Boy Scout's Polar Adventures at Camp Phillips in northern WI. It was a full day of outdoor fun. Before they left, I asked Finley what he was most excited about...Nicholas will be there! I had to rephrase, what activity was he most excited about. But I'm glad he's found such a good friend in Nicholas.

There were relay races...

...throwing tennis balls at targets (I heard Finley had a really good aim)...

...they took a tour of the camp and saw many different camping tools...

...they made a really delicious snack over the fire - tortillas filled w/ chocolate chips and whipped cream...





 ...and Finley's favorite-favorite part (after Nicholas of course) was the slingshot! They practiced w/ dog food (leaving a snack for animals). When Finley got home, he told me where we can buy a slingshot, how much they cost, and that he'll take his own money, he wants one bad.

Hot chocolate and the closing ceremony, Finley earned a badge too!

Thank you Grandpa for going with and taking all of the pictures. Finley had a GREAT day and I'm happy you are part of that memory.

The boys were in town, so we swapped a few kids for the evening. I was stuck w/ this crew ;) Actually, they played incredibly well together, there wasn't a single argument all evening.

Then it was movie time, the two littlest were out quickly...

...then there was the third kid. Easton didn't really want to sleepover, so I kinda left that part out. My plan was he'd crash and I'd carry him to bed. Only he didn't crash. He wasn't mad/sad, he just kept telling me Grandma would be back soon. A little after 10, he was nowhere near falling asleep, so I drove him back.

Easton slept w/ Grandpa and Finley & Spencer slept in the "fort" also known as the storage space under the stairs.

Grandma's birthday celebration!

Singing...

...and candle blowing. Only Finley blew .5 seconds before the others and blew it out himself (turd). Look at Hadley's face ;)

They tried again and the one missing is off pouting in another room.

It's become our tradition, maybe the last 3-4 years already, that we give Grandma a gift for Bob's House for Dogs.

The kids helped Grandma deliver the supplies and they visited the dogs...

...and Finley fell in love. This is Peanut, Finley loves Peanut and wants Peanut to be ours. I'm not an animal person. I don't pet other people's dogs, they all seem kinda dirty to me (it's the hair and slobber), so I really have no business being a pet owner. (When I was shopping for Grandma's birthday gift, I had a near panic attack in the dog food aisle, way too many choices). But a lifetime ago, I remember thinking when I grew up and had a family, we'd get a brown miniature dachshund and we'd name him Peanut. So I really wish this dog's name was Max or something so I wouldn't have this inner ugh right now wondering, i
s it meant to be?

Finley had fun at Jr. Blugold basketball camp, in a few weeks they'll show off their skills in a halftime show.

Our crew is getting a new member! Scott & Becky will be welcoming a new baby in 6ish weeks. We hosted a baby shower to celebrate Baby Bert.


Thanks to our favorite cake-lady, the cake tasted as good as it looked!


We celebrated w/ a tailgate-style shower during the Packer vs Viking game and ate all of our cabin-favorites.


They have diapers, what else do they need? Just the baby! I can't wait for him/her to arrive, I think they're having a girl!

And we are done hosting. We had a great winter break, but the kids are tired and they're bugging each other, so I welcome school and our activities again. TBT - look at Hadley's chubby legs! I can't believe it's 2016 and this little baby starts kindergarten in 2016...I'm so not ready for this.




No comments: