Sunday, January 24, 2016

Busy Having Fun

I thought life would slow down after the holidays. I thought I'd feel bored in January. Not at all, saying yes keeps us busy having fun.

We finished last weekend attending Spencer's first hockey jamboree - I think jamboree is a fancy word for a tournament?! I can't believe how good he is! He skates like a high schooler, cruising around corners touching the ground, it's seriously impressive. And makes him seem way too old.


Ryan says he's not a coach, but he looks the part to me.

This was my favorite succession of pictures, I love the third one down - Spencer is completely off the ice.

Good job Spencer!

Hadley has wanted a playdate w/ her best friend for a very long time. Her BFF is a little girl named Allie, they are in the same 4K class. I introduced myself to Allie's mom, we exchanged numbers and arranged for Allie to spend a morning at our house. Hadley.was.excited. Allie is her first self-made friend. Even though Allie wouldn't talk to me (very shy), the two girls were soooo sweet together. Girl playdates are nothing like boy playdates. Boys run around, shoot each other, and tackle. Hadley & Allie played in her room for nearly two hours, I could hear them chatting away playing house.

After lunch I delivered the two girls to school, I sent Allie's mom this picture to show they arrived safely. I'm glad she trusted me because it made Hadley's day (week probably).

Two days later it was a field trip and I got to ride the bus w/ the two BFF's.

We went to the Sports Center and I took one whopping picture.

Finley asked me to take his picture w/ his Jenga tower. I was too slow and only caught the accidental bump w/ the OOPS...

...and it's down.

Danz Kraze in a new outfit.

Finley had his expander installed - installed doesn't seem the right word? Placed? Regardless, it's in and I'm glad that's behind us. He majorly gagged on the taste/smell of the cement and since it's adhered to his last molars, Dr. Matt had to stick his hands way inside his mouth.

Finley got to keep the impression of his teeth. And grossly, he's carrying it in his coat pocket if you want to see it.

There it is. So far it's about as fun as it looks - it's not. He's adjusting to it, but things hurt - his cheeks and tongue from rubbing on the metal, the roof of his mouth from new pressure. Dr. Matt said the overall procedure will be fairly comfortable for someone Finley's age. We go back in eight weeks to check progress, if all looks well it'll just sit there for another 5-6 months.

Day #1's awesome lunch. He can eat, but it's really slow-going right now as a crumb = a bite. No gum, no skittles, no taffy, no gummy bears, no fruit snacks until it's taken out. Finley has been very crabby this weekend, like You're the meanest mom ever! type of stuff (it's been bad). I'm not sure if it's misdirected anger due to the discomfort and being hungry or what?!  

When I taught kindergarten, I was always surprised how long little girls could sit/color/cut, while the boys chose to actively play w/ cars and trains. Now I can see it at home too. For two days, Sister worked on coloring a Packer helmet.

All weekend she has been designing w/ her fashion plates - a throwback toy I remember playing w/ too.

And she has literally spent HOURS organizing and playing inside her "hideout" which is the corner of our living room.

THANKFULLY these Vikings wear yellow and not purple! Finley had his first flag football game.

Here was his best play, he gets handed the ball and runs w/ it.

But in true Finley-fashion, there was a little game-watching from the field too. 

Catching snowflakes in her hair.

It was Dress as Your Favorite Book Character Day, Finley is Jack from the Magic Treehouse Series. He had the red backpack, binoculars, a notebook, and a map.


W/ Finley's sore mouth, Hadley & I were playground drug dealers on Thursday & Friday. It's a pain to authorize school to dispense meds, so we showed up at lunch recess and gave him ibuprofen. W/ good temps, Hadley came ready to play on Friday. WI winter recess can be a lot of fun!

The playground has a perfect sledding hill and they bring out sleds for the kids to use. It's a small enough hill that the kids can go up/down a bazillion times and the plows create a lip to stop them at the bottom.


Finley offered to buy Hadley lunch, it was her first time through the hot lunch line. (She's not sad, she poked her eye when picking up the tray.)


Breakfast for lunch is a favorite.


Finley earned his way into the Soaring High Club by Mrs. Gilbert. This is his 3rd time this year in the club - happy me!


Finley's Tiger Scout Den attended Beaver Creek Reserve's Moonlight & Candlelight Snowshoe Night. Finley, Hadley & I were all first-timers.

It took Hadley a few minutes to get it down, but once she did, she was running all over in her little snowshoes. I borrowed my dad's snowshoes and I might again. It was a lot of fun and a good workout (I felt it the next morning).

Finley had wooden snowshoes and unfortunately they didn't stay tight, he spent a lot of time putting them back on.


It was a perfect evening to be outdoors, the temps were comfortable and the moon was bright in the woods. My flash was obviously really bright too.


We finished the evening w/ hot chocolate and s'mores over the bonfire.


We saw a magician at the State Theater!


When I bought the tickets I was thinking David Blaine Street Magic, yeah not so much, but Finley & Hadley were impressed. He came out into the audience and really kept the kid's attention.


It's no secret that I heart social media. FB is my friend, which sounds totally sad, but we do spend time together every day ;) This week I made my first tweet - I'm totally behind the times. A few years ago I signed up for a Twitter account and never really used it aside from following a few celebrities, but that got dumb and I stopped. Last year there was a manhunt near our house and the PD/Sheriff Depts used Twitter to quickly update the community - so I started following again. Unfortunately last week there was an armed robbery near Finley's school (weirdly, at the same gas station that the manhunt started at last year, where do we live?!). So I took to Twitter to stay updated and replied to a media tweet asking if any schools were locked down. I was impressed when our PD quickly replied to me. After that exchange, I laughed because CrimeStoppers is now following me.


And maybe this is why - Finley told his teacher his dad was on TV for the robbery. Nice ;) Thankfully Mrs. Gilbert knows us well, she played along w/ him, and shared their exchange w/ me. (What really happened? During a live interview at the gas station, Patrick's truck pulled up to the gas pumps in the background, thus he was on TV for the armed robbery).


Another perk to social media - I saw this picture posted. That little boy was in my first kindergarten class, that little boy is now a SENIOR in high school!

And since this post has turned to all about me, I'll finish that way ;) Pat joined me again this weekend for my training run, the real-feel temp was 30* warmer than last Saturday. But a winter running first for me - frosty eye lashes.


PD tomorrow for teachers, which means the kids have the day off school. We'll be busy having fun in the cities!

No comments: