While grabbing a quick dinner, an old man hollered across McD, Your little girl is cute! I smiled and agreed. A few minutes later, he yelled over again, That little girl sure is cute and she looks like her mama! I replied that she's cute and sassy. A few minutes later he started walking towards us. Unfortunately in today's day, my mind quickly raced, Creepy old man or sweet grandpa?!?! Creepy old man or sweet grandpa?!?! Crap, here he comes. He reached our table, pulled out a money clip and handed each kid $1. Not sure what to do, I kicked the kids under the table w/ a What do you say? as they kinda looked at me confused, I'm confident a complete stranger has never handed them money before.
The man was in his mid-late 70's. He shared that he lost his wife eight years ago and they weren't able to have children, but he'd wanted them so badly. He enjoys seeing kids w/ smiles on their faces and wanted to tell me how lucky I am. The possible creeper was a very kind wishful-Grandpa.
As we were leaving, Finley went to tell him good-bye. The man pulled me aside, shook my hand, told me the kids brought tears to his eyes. He again reminded me, You are really lucky.
It's no joke that every single day, I think about my not-career and how everything happened. I'm still blown away that I don't work. I still feel weird telling people I stay home. This doesn't mean I don't enjoy my time w/ the kids. This doesn't mean I miss the stress (ha - I don't at all). But it still feels weird. I have turned my focus to the extra things I'm saying yes to because I'm not working. Maybe I'm proving to myself that my not-career is benefiting them? I keep thinking about that wishful-Grandpa. He's right. I AM lucky right now. And my kids are too. Crazy-enough, last week I was offered a two-month sub position in kindergarten at my school. But I can't. Not now. Right now it's about them.
Just because it feels weird, it doesn't mean Hadley & I haven't figured this not-career out. It was 1:00 one afternoon and I realized how we have mastered hanging out...we dropped Finley off at school, had coffee w/ Rachel & Hayden, ran to Scheels, figured out Grandma was at the mall which led to a spontaneous lunch w/ Grandma & Suzie...we got this ;)
Shopkins Spot It, Shopkins Pop & Race, Shopkins Supermarket Sweep, Shopkins EVERYWHERE.
Finley (who is afraid of having his feet stepped on in soccer) wanted to try Flag Football, say what?! Why? Because Nicholas is. This is a total yes because of my not-career.
We're getting ready to expand the roof of Finley's mouth. His new orthodontists (a husband/wife team of Dr. Matt & Dr. Katie) just received their new digital impression-maker (not the technical term), so we went in to take measurements for the expander. Figuring Finley would gag/puke on the goopy-strawberry molding-stuff, we decided to wait until the new impression-maker arrived. It was so new that Finley was part of the staff training day. No gagging and no puking!
Two spacers were inserted to make room for the bands of the expander. Don't look too hard, this was the picture I took proving to Finley that they were gone. Sometime between Friday-Saturday night he ate them. He almost died when I told him how they'd be leaving his body.
Working on a community service project, the Tiger Scouts visited Bob's House for Dogs.
They played w/ the dogs...
...and helped out.
Peanut update...he was neutered last week and is recovering at Bob's House. The vet determined Peanut is about 12 years old. As much as my kid's want Peanut to live w/ us, I don't feel a 12-year old dog is best for them. I'd be setting them for heartbreak in 6 months-2 years. We learned a retired couple has submitted an application to adopt Peanut. I truthfully (and gently) explained to Finley why Peanut is best w/ a retired mom/dad. It seems he gets it but he's still sad, twice I found him crying over Peanut.
Grandpa & Finley watching the Blugolds in 2013...
...Grandpa & Finley watching the Blugolds in 2016. One has changed way more than the other!
Jr. Blugold Basketball Clinic.
We be puzzlin' and I get totally sucked in!
Late last week, we had a really pretty snowfall.
Finley snuck in a little bit of snow-time, unfortunately it gets dark within 45 minutes of him getting home from school.
Saturday I enjoyed running w/ company, it was snowy but comfortable and I really appreciated the distraction of friends.
The snowmobiles are out.
Finley is totally showing off for the two girls walking by. He didn't stop, just a drive-by w/o really looking at them ;)
Patrick & Hadley pulled Finley (laying in a bin) to the little sledding hill in our neighborhood.
And hot chocolate to warm up.
Even though it was -17 when I dropped Finley off today (my favorite January meme is making the rounds again)...
...thanks to the wishful-Grandpa, I am feeling lucky to spend a cozy day w/ her.



























No comments:
Post a Comment