Sunday, July 27, 2008

Week 3 – Big Boy Pants & Big Girl Drinks

Finley is three weeks old! From Finley's expression in the second picture, even he is surprised at how fast he's growing. I love that look!
Last weekend Jill, Cary and Gavin stayed overnight. Gavin is 7 months old, he’s getting so big and is full of giggles!

On Sunday Jeff and Lisa visited; Baby-Girl Simek is due in late October. Jeff groaned when I commented on the possibility of being in-laws some day. I wonder why? Maybe the thought of his daughter marrying a mini-Patrick scared him?? Good thing I'm raising a mama's boy and a perfect gentleman!

Last Monday Finley weighed in at 6 pounds 1 oz, just over his birth weight! We now feed every three hours during the day and on-demand at night. The number of night feedings is about the same (approx every 3 hours), but it makes a huge difference when Finley wakes me versus when I wake him. He feeds much quicker this way, before it might take thirty minutes just to wake him; now Finley’s ready to eat and we’re back in our beds within 45 minutes. On Friday we had one more weight check to confirm the on-demand feeding was working, it is! Finley was up to 6 pounds 8 oz, surpassing the average gain of one ounce per day.
Finley couldn't believe his weight gain either!

Tuesday Patrick and I celebrated our 2nd wedding anniversary. We got take-out from the restaurant where we had our first date and Patrick proposed. There’s nothing like eating Mona Lisa’s out of Styrofoam containers at your coffee table. But the best part was enjoying it with our little Finley. How can we not be in love with this little boy????

Check out Finley taking a nap in our bathroom. When I take a shower I wheel the bassinet into the bathroom so I can keep my eye on Mr. Finley. I think he likes the sound of the fan and running water and I like to shave my legs knowing he's not crying...I also like shaving my legs now that I can reach them again! Seriously - did I just say I like to shave my legs??? I don't, hate it actually!

Finley has been groaning to get out of his swaddle at night - here he is sssttreettcchhedd oouutt, again napping in the bathroom.


Finley moved up to Big Boy Pants this week! He’s out of preemie-sized diapers and is wearing newborns now! Mom learned this lesson after Finley continually leaked out…next time it won’t take ten soaked outfits before I learn the lesson!

From Big Boy Pants to Big Girl Drinks! On Wednesday we celebrated Faith’s belated birthday at Grandma Lynn’s house. It was Zach and Finley’s first playdate – Zach played enough for both boys while the ladies cuddled Finley. When the dads got off of work they picked up their boys….bring on my first BIG GIRL DRINK! Aaaaahhhhh, Captain-Diet – it tasted just like I remember! Don’t worry, I was annoyingly responsible; after Faith reassured me that I would not poison my son, I mixed ONE drink with one-level shot. I nursed it for over an hour and went home…I don’t think I’ve ever measured a drink before!

Finley and I visited Dad and Grandpa at Market & Johnson this week, everyone was anxious to meet the little boy they’ve heard so much about. He even wore his construction outfit! We also attended M&J’s 60th Anniversary party on Thursday.
Finley and I spend a lot of time in our jammies during the week, but when we go out he’s dressed as cute as can be; two new outfits from Grandma Market, one with monkeys the other with horses…we love when Grandma has Gymbucks!

Finley went out for his first Friday Night Fish Fry, a Wisconsin tradition. I brought the stroller for him to sleep in while we ate, but everyone wanted to hold him so we didn’t even need it. Finley is one spoiled little boy!
Aunt Shawna and Great-Grandpa Wally came up from Chicago on Saturday, it was a quick trip and so thoughtful to travel such a long way to meet Finley. Grandma & Grandpa came over along with Grandma Kathleen & Grandpa Pat for a grill-out.
On Sunday, Finley got his first ride on Grandpa’s pontoon on Lake Altoona. We weren't sure if it was the hum of the motor or what, but Finley would not wake up for lunch. Even I thought It was a great place for a snooze, I fell asleep too...then again, it's the two of us that are awake in the night together - coincidence?

We think Finley is looking bigger and older each day. On Friday, his belly-button stump finally fell off – YEAH! We gave Finley his first real bath on Sunday, Aunt Shawna was our videographer to capture the event.
Tomorrow (Monday) Finley will be retested in his car seat at the hospital. I'm so tired of the stinkin' carbed...anyone that's spoken with me knows my true feelings about it...can't write those words here. Keep your fingers crossed that he passes - bring on the infant carrier! I've been giving him pep talks! Finley promises to be a big boy and sit tall :)

No comments: