Monday, June 23, 2008

Hospital Update

An update from the Labor and Delivery floor at Luther Hospital...

Last night was pretty uneventful, but between my antibiotics, nurses checking vitals, etc I didn't get much sleep. About midnight I happily accepted an Ambien, but even that didn't do much for me.

I began having some contractions through the night again, the good news is I don't feel any of them, the bad news - we don't want contractions! This morning Dr. Peltier decided to give me another contraction-stopping shot. Unfortunately the shot didn't work this time (worked well last night), so we moved onto the next alternative. This morning I was started on an IV of magnesium sulfate. This is a bit more potent and is a steady drip for a couple days, the shot is effective for about 4 hours.

The drip does come with some side effects-blurred vision, nausea, double vision, headaches, dizziness, etc. Fortunately I've only got the flushed face so far and slight headache. I also remain on antibiotics that will kill any infection I could pass to Baby should I deliver early and I'll get my last dose of steroids to help prepare Baby's lungs this afternoon.

Dr. Ezenagu stopped by to say hi - he's my doctor and I'll see him officially tomorrow, today he just checked in when he'd received word that I was here; it was comforting to see him. I asked him what the next few days might look like, he said if things stay calm they'd eventually take me off the magnesium and watch what happens. If things remain calm off the drip, I'll go home on bedrest and wait for Baby. I again asked what Baby might face if born at 35 weeks, he said it might be able to go home with me or may just need an extra 1-2 days in the nursery - either option sounded OK to me.

So for now I'm stuck here, watching daytime TV, getting waited on, reading celebrity magazines/good books and my computer...no, it doesn't sound that bad, but, time goes realllllyyyy slow. The unknown of the next few days frighten me. I'm excited my baby wants to come out so bad, but the fear of bringing a baby into the world a little early scares me. We haven't even finished baby classes yet! Grandma and Auntie may have to buy some preemie clothes too or Baby will only have diapers to wear!

I will continue to update via email/blog - thanks for thoughts and well wishes!

1 comment:

Faith said...

Praying for you!! Call or email if you need anything!